Backfire - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Backfire

hello, i have a 2012 foreman 500 and i use to ride a few times a month but i havnt been able to ride much latley. i tried starting it up a few days ago and it has a very loud backfire when i try to crank and give alittle throttle. the battery died a few months ago and i got a new battery and it ran fine and started right up after that. but i cant get it to start up. it will turn over but i was wondering if it was with the plugs needing to be changed or need to pull gas out and do a full service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

first off welcome to the site
as for your issue's
any time a atv sits for longer periods of time, you gamble with fuel issue's
modern ethanol fuel sucks, and can ho bad in weeks not months!

MY suggestion is drain fuel out of tank, inspect plug and see what it looks like
make sure air filter is clean, check your oil too
and see what happens
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the spark plug is fouled out, that's where I would start.

2013 MUV 700----2011TRX500FPM----2009TRX420FPA----2009TRX420FA----2007 TRX420FM----2006 TRX400FA----1995TRX300FW----1988TRX350D----1988TRX300---1974 CB750 Amen Savior Chopper----!974 ST90

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:30 PM
Honda Rider

I think that was the first year fuel injection? I would guess stale gas and possibly fouled spark plug, possibly restricted fuel sock/filter.

If I’m wrong and it has a carb, gas goes stale fastest in small quantities when exposed to air. At the bottom of the carb bowl is a drain screw. Once the old gas has run out, open petcock for a sec, to flush, before closing the drain.

06 Rincon 680. Foreman headlight conversion, Guru bumper, Warn XT30, Maier guards, Bighorns
05 Foreman 500 FM, 2.5 Warn, Bighorns
Dually Ram and Patio Hauler 5th wheel
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:12 AM
Honda Rider

The 12 Foreman's had the filter/sock on the bottom of the pump & would clog or get dirty easier due to sediment in the bottom of the pump housing, I have a 13 foreman & they moved it up & to the side to help with that issue which is the only replacement parts you can get now I'm not saying that's your problem but it wouldn't hurt being 7yrs old to replace it because as stated ethanol gas causes lots of problems

2013 Foreman FPM
AP Stick Guards
AP Full Body Skidplate
2500 Promark XT Winch
Coleman Back Rack Bag
27" Reptile Radials
14" SS 216 ITP Wheels
Moose Front Rack Bag Cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page