2019 keeps shutting off under water!? HELP! - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2019 keeps shutting off under water!? HELP!

Just recently purchased a 2019 Honda foreman 500. Bike came with snorkel, lift, tires. Besides that everything else is stock. When out on the first ride it shut off as soon as the plug and exhaust went under water. I tried the dielectric grease in the boot and still keeps dying. I read somewhere that back pressure on the stock exhaust is the culprit? Is this true? If so what exhaust and tuner would you suggest? Not trying to be loudest out on the trail or blow $1000 on something that wasn’t the problem. Anyone else having these issues!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Honda Rider

Maybe dont drive it underwater? Seems pretty reasonable to me since it was never designed to go underwater to begin with.

Just because people do it doesnt mean you SHOULD do it...
mrbb likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Appreciate the feedback, but I’m asking how to fix the problem not what I should and shouldn’t do.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Honda Rider

The fix is easy. Dont drive underwater.

Not trying to be a smartass but really... if you cant figure it out on your own then the only thing that is going to happen is you are going to sink it, not know why or how to fix it, and then be upset because you just threw $7000 in the trash. You've proven here that you dont have the knowledge or experience to know what's really going on or what's wrong with it. You're the reason people like me buy your bike for $1000 after you've trashed it, given up on it, and want to get whatever you can for it to rid yourself of the constant reminder of your $7000 mistake. Dont worry, you're not the first, and you wont be the last.

Theres a hundred reasons why it could be cutting out. Electrical connections, relay box, fuse box, tilt/rollover sensor, etc. No it's not the exhaust. The stock exhaust will idle perfectly fine completely submerged for extended amounts of time. But asking what you've asked "why does it die underwater" is showing your inexperience as it's the same as going to a doctor and saying "I don't feel good, what's wrong with me?" And expecting a fix.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Once again I appreciate it krispy kitten but if I wanted an answer like that I would ask my wife. I’m asking other Honda owners if they are having the same problem and if so a solution. If “don’t drive underwater” is your only answer then save yourself some keyboard time and move on. I have no problem rebuilding the bike myself from top to bottom if so be it.
Wilbur likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

I'm sure some others will get you better advice, as there are water guys here and on the other Honda site you posted things on, just have to wait a tad till they see your post
MOST guys however are running older atv's, so might be less help on the newer 19-20's
MAC should maybe have some feed back, he seems to stay on top of this stuff on BOTH sites
so hang in there help will come on what to try any how or know the answer

some of the programmers I think can control idle RPMS< and maybe you just need to turn that up to help here?
bigger issue with these new atv's will be SO many electrical connections and sensors, that water will play heck with over time
as stated above, there just not made to do so(doesn;t mean they cannot be made too)
so no bashing here from me on how you use your atv, its your's enjoy like you do

as I always say, folks like you are the reason ATV tech advances, the OEM's let consumers do R&D and then adapt things that ALL us ATV owners sooner or later benefit from!
my budget just isn;'t there for this type of stuff no more
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Honda Rider

When you say it shut off as soon as the plug and exhaust went under water were you actually moving giving it throttle or was it when you let off the throttle?
If you haven't done an O2 delete that is the first thing I would do. With these new ones it seems to help after going in the water to not let off the throttle till the coolant of the bike cools down if you can help it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llenoir View Post
When you say it shut off as soon as the plug and exhaust went under water were you actually moving giving it throttle or was it when you let off the throttle?
If you haven't done an O2 delete that is the first thing I would do. With these new ones it seems to help after going in the water to not let off the throttle till the coolant of the bike cools down if you can help it.
The first time it shut off was at an idle. The second time was under power 1/4 throttle... even during another crossing it started to sputter even with 1/2 throttle. Can you do an o2 delete without a programmer to compensate for fuel/air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page