Camber out of whack - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wilbur
  • 1 Post By Wilbur

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Honda Lover

Camber out of whack

Hey guys,

Have a new problem this week. Was riding along and hit a hole about 3 feet deep and next thing I know my A is up in the air and I see my wife doing the superman up above. Good thing is she's alright with just a banged up knee and I just have a bloody lip like back in the drinking days.
I was going less than 10 mph and bent the handlebars a few inches. Got the handle bars straightened out but he left tire is bent out on the top, I'd say 2 inches. I really don't see how it could have done that much damage with the speed I was going and I hit with the wheels straight but sometimes you get good luck and sometimes it's bad, I guess.
Anyway, the top of the left tire is misaligned about 2 inches out. If you look at it from the front about 5 yards out, the top of the tire is leaning out about 2 inches.
I don't see anything bent so I'm asking anyone this has happened to before what to look for. Would it be the upper or lower A frame, the frame itself or what?
I'm open for any suggestions at this point because I've eyeballed everything and can't seem to identify the problem.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Wheel possibly bent?

https://www.hondaforeman.com/130-for...y-foreman.html

it's tough trying to see what is bent. Best way to tell what you're dealing with is to measure from different points on both sides and see where the difference is. It's even better if you have another identical wheeler to use for reference.

In my case, the frame was twisted. I got it back together, but it was still obviously tweaked to one side, so I ended up getting a used frame and swapping everything over.

This the 07 or the 14?

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Honda Lover

It's the 14, still can't believe it got damaged, was going fairly slow and dropped straight down in a hole, both wheels were straight. It still rides well, had to ride it home and I have been out once since then and had it up to about 35. I'll do some measuring with a rope and see what I come up with, thanks for that info. If it was a bent wheel I think I would notice it while riding.

Drives me crazy looking at it, I like things to be right or at least close.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda Lover

Ok first off you do know that there is a toe out on these bikes from factory. I went and looked at mine, lined up the left side with the body and stood back, my right side looked a bit out, so I lined up the right side and the left side looked out, not sure what could be bent though, other than your lower ball joint maybe...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Honda Lover

It looked pretty straight before I buried it TBR but that makes sense. I"m going to pull the skid plate off this weekend and stand it up like a bear and take a good look. I hope it's the balljoint, easy fix, unlike the frame.
Trout Brook Rider likes this.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Honda Lover

I took it over to our awesome Honda dealer close by and they showed me where the lower A-arm was bent. It was right on the curve in the back close to the ball joint, almost invisible. He said run your finger down it on inside of back curve and by doing, you could feel the bend and it was clearly obvious. Well I ordered one and yesterday removed the old one, set the new one on top of the old one and there was about 3/4 inch in difference in length. Put the new one on and it looked straight up and down, set the toe in and it looks good now as does my bottom lip and my wife's knee. I told her I going to get her a cape to ride with the way she went flying over me was a sight to be seen, minus the landing.

Again, can't believe it bent that easily from going slow and falling into the hole but maybe they designed them for the A-arm to bend and not the frame which is a good thing.
Trout Brook Rider likes this.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

First off Glad your both OK
and some little FYI info here,
7 mph is fast enough that if you were moving that fast and stuck your arms out straight and hit a wall, you would break both of them, the human body, on average cannot handle speed and impacts at just 7 mph, many less than 7 too!
humans cannot really handle very much speed at all, or a lot less than most think!

its one of the things, and sayings I hear so often who don;t wear a helmet!
as I am NOT wearing a helmet, as I am not going FAST!
AND all will be OK and well, sadly. it many times is far from the truth! as they just don;t get how little speed it takes for major damage to happen!, and Trust me its no fun to me the one hurt or see others, been there done that way too many times, seen a few die, and some major life changing accidents at SLOW Speeds!

SO< doesn't really take a lot of speed to get hurt or BEND break things!

weight in motion, can be a deadly thing!

NOW< as for your issue
IT is very possible you bend the frame, the A arm or both, , or tied rods or? all and maybe more

toe in/toe out, is not something that should slip easy, if things moved from an impact, its cause something bent or broke!
or treads stripped off something
the key here is going to be jack atv off the ground, and start taking measurements from both sides and try and see what side seems farther out
give atv a good wash first too and look for anything that looks cracked(welds or??) and or bent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page