2006 Foreman 500 footshift not shifting - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepwm69
  • 1 Post By mrbb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2006 Foreman 500 footshift not shifting

Alright guys so I've looked for a post like this but have yet to find it. I have a 2006 Foreskin 500 with around 2800 miles and 540hrs on it. I went on a trail this weekend and went around 20 miles of trail without any issue. I was banging gears pretty hard and I have a dog gear slipping in third but the bike has had that issue since I got it over a year ago. Anyways around the 23mi mark on the trail I noticed it would miss shifts. Kinda like it wouldnt fully go into a gear. Mainly coming out of first. There were quite a few mud holes but nothing bad enough for the bike to get stuck in. Majority of the trail was rode in 2wd except when I had pushed a few 2wd timberwolfs through some holes. I have seen a few other issues but they seem to have slightly different issues like stuck in gear or not pulling at all.

I still have Reverse, Neutral, and First. But after first it still has resistance on shifter but the gear indicator nor the transmission will go past 1st. It seemed to happen after just two times of messing up but the first time I rolled back in reverse and got it to go through the gears again. Hopefully this will be as simple as a clutch adjustment but I really dont mind having to tear into the bike if I got to. Im a heavy equip mechanic at a Komatsu dealer but I have no idea how these Honda trans work.

I am running Rotella T for engine oil and oil is about 100 hrs old. I have 28in itp mudlites, other than that bike is stock as far as I know. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
If you were hammering on the shifter hard you probably bent a shift fork. Will required totally tearing the motor down and splitting cases.

You can pull the front cover and see if any of the shift linkage is bent, but the shift forks ride in little rails in the shift drum, and if they get bent they'll hang up in the rails.
mrbb likes this.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

well you made me laugh when I read this

I have a 2006 Foreskin 500 with around 2800 miles and 540hrs on it.

but I agree with Jeep in the above, hammering on a shifter is never a good idea, shifts should always be sort of smooth, even fast, but smooth, let off throttle and shift and keep going!
abuse has its costs!
Wilbur likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

So I finally got to pull the front cover tonight. Once the cover split some triangle shaped bearing fell down into the bottom of the case and when I tried to shift through my gears to see what is going on I found that the shift indicator is not letting it stay in gear unless I hold the shifter up or down. Still wont go through the gears properly and not seeing anything out of the ordinary but im willing to be that I need to pull the eng and split the cases. Ive never been in one of these trans before so Idk what im looking at but the parts breakdown on cheap cycle parts shows most of the linkage to be intact
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Honda Lover

You may want to download the free service manual (compliments from the great ppl here on this site) from my signature to help out a little bit on that foreskin. Please come back and fill us in on the results after you complete the job or any questions along the way, just holler.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
If you need to split cases, there's one bolt on the backside that's around the middle of the inside of the engine. Don't go to prying on it without making sure you have all the bolts out.

Set the engine on a bench with the stator down and you can lift the front case off where the transmission stays in place.

Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Will do. I guess il pull the engine off and bring to my shop to pull apart. Il take pictures and keep you guys informed. Thanks for all the help so far.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Honda Lover

Which side is best to pull the engine off of? I think I remember being told the "passenger" or right side.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

We actually pulled it from the left side, got everything unhooked and laid engine on its back side and started fidgeting with the shift linkage. Found that the star gear with the 10mm bolt in the middle was loose. What a dumbass!! I could of just checked that with the engine on it but i didnt realize what it actually did.

So I guess lesson learned and I finally get to replace that front driveshaft seal and throw some springs on my clutch. I did have some dog gears slipping in 3rd so I will probably replace that as well. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Google "420 crank youtube" and a 4 part video of a 420 footshift motor will pop up.

These 05-11 500 motors are set up the same way, so watching those videos will pretty much show you what you need to do.

Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page