Any luck with used CDIís? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrbb
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 14
Any luck with used CDIís?

I was thinking of buying a used cdi for my bike to test if my original is bad. Iím on a tight budget so money is a factor. Was going to use a reputable salvage company like powersportnation. I figure if itís not the cause then I just return it and pay restocking fee.

Any stories, good or bad?

Worst case scenario is that itís the cdi AND another part causing my issue so this method does not work.

Thanks
Bogus919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider
 
mrbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ne PA
Posts: 3,361
cdi's are a electrical part and hard to know if good or bad, so buying used will be a gamble at best!
I have not even had any luck with aftermarket new one's
last one I got lasted only 6 months or less and failed!

so, buying used, might get lucky, or get one that also is bad or worse than what you have now, also not sure you can return electronic's, most places don't let you! due to the fact you an damage them and they wouldn;t know it!
mrbb is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Honda Lover
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 345
Aren't there test procedures in the repair manual?
Moccasin Ranger is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 14
The test procedure is to test everything going to the cdi and if they all check out then the cdi must be at fault. Most places will switch out your old with a known good one to troubleshoot instead of going through every system to check.

My thought is, a new cdi is not returnable. A used one Sometimes is. Buying a new cdi when yours really isnít bad is gonna suck, buying a used one is a gamble because I guess you canít also be 100 percent sure it is also good.... but it could be returnable. Some of these used parts places will install the used cdi they are selling into a bike to make sure it works before they put it up for sale.
Bogus919 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 PM
Honda Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Texas
Posts: 283
What's the original problem and year model?

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
Wilbur is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider
 
mrbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ne PA
Posts: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus919 View Post
The test procedure is to test everything going to the cdi and if they all check out then the cdi must be at fault. Most places will switch out your old with a known good one to troubleshoot instead of going through every system to check.

My thought is, a new cdi is not returnable. A used one Sometimes is. Buying a new cdi when yours really isnít bad is gonna suck, buying a used one is a gamble because I guess you canít also be 100 percent sure it is also good.... but it could be returnable. Some of these used parts places will install the used cdi they are selling into a bike to make sure it works before they put it up for sale.
the odds of a parts place having ALL make and model atv's to test a CDI are LOW< if not zero?
next, many cdi's will work for a short time, and then as a heat builds and or run time happens THEY they will act up,
so even if a parts place had a atv top TEST on, odds of them actually spending any amount of time testing it is even lower!

Again, its a gamble buying used period on parts, and MUSH lower odds gamble buying USED electronic's IMO!
mrbb is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
What's the original problem and year model?
Itís an 04 with the typical transmission error with a code 11.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
the odds of a parts place having ALL make and model atv's to test a CDI are LOW< if not zero?
next, many cdi's will work for a short time, and then as a heat builds and or run time happens THEY they will act up,
so even if a parts place had a atv top TEST on, odds of them actually spending any amount of time testing it is even lower!

Again, its a gamble buying used period on parts, and MUSH lower odds gamble buying USED electronic's IMO!
So what I hear you saying is, buy the used cdi and if it works, return it and buy a new one for longevity.
Bogus919 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 14
Jokes aside, I appreciate the insight mrbb. At this point I only know cars and have never had a computer go out on a car of my own.

Without opening up another thread, do any of you know how these bikes handle aftermarket parts? Like switches, sensors, motors etc. Example, I can put third party oxygen sensors on my car and it does just fine... are there know quality aftermarket names out there for these parts?

Thanks
Bogus919 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Honda Lover
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: WV
Posts: 345
You're right, I took a wild guess and checked the 2006-2011 TRX500 manual. Edit: Just saw in another thread, it's a 2004.



Just need to test the other components and rule them out. If they check out, you'll know what to do. Taking shortcuts in troubleshooting is just guessing.


You'll pay shipping to return parts, 99% of the time. If it was me, I would do the testing first. We had a thread recently, a bad R/R was killing the spark.

Last edited by Moccasin Ranger; 06-30-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Moccasin Ranger is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider
 
mrbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ne PA
Posts: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus919 View Post
Jokes aside, I appreciate the insight mrbb. At this point I only know cars and have never had a computer go out on a car of my own.

Without opening up another thread, do any of you know how these bikes handle aftermarket parts? Like switches, sensors, motors etc. Example, I can put third party oxygen sensors on my car and it does just fine... are there know quality aftermarket names out there for these parts?

Thanks
HAHA< and NO I am not suggesting buying a used CDI period!
my money would not be wasted on that gamble!

and aftermarket electronic;s on HONDA 4x4 models, in my experience has been poor at best!
and I view this with most atv/motorcycle parts, I stick to OEM for electronic on main things any how
light bulbs I can see aftermarket!
exception will be IMO when you get into some of the more sporty machine's that either get raced or on like designs, say , many of the race atv's that see track time, same with super sport bikes and such

the main reason is, the aftermarket world is way more active and competitive, and in much higher numbers! and as such, seem to turn out way better products SOME times!

but many many times, when you buy cheap parts, you GET cheap parts
electronic's are just so hit and miss, same as with cheap knock off carb's made in who knows where, many work, many don't , its like pick of the litter, and for MOST< buying ONCE , is worth the higher costs than buying twice and having more down time, or stranded walking out!

aftermarket parts that tend to be OK(pending again name and quality)
oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, brakes, bearings, shocks, tires, wheels, light bulbs, grips and so on, the simple things, mass produced for many models and been around a LONG time,
NOT electronic's or carb's however IMO! on honda 4x4 atvc's
Bogus919 likes this.
mrbb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome