Foreman stops unexpectedly - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By mrbb
  • 2 Post By mrbb
  • 3 Post By jeepwm69

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Foreman stops unexpectedly

I have a 2006 Foreman FE, (electric shift program EXP).

Use it mainly around the yard, towing my lawn sweeper, running mostly in 2nd gear. After 15 minutes or so it will just go dead. No lights on the dash, it won't even let me shift back into neutral - nothing. Let it sit for a couple of hours and it starts right back up, but I'm so frustrated (finish sweeping grass with golf cart) I just park the ATV until I need it again. Don't know if it would quit again after another 15 minutes. Been to shop twice and they can't get it to stop - they say it keeps going and going, and can't fix if they can't get it to stop dead.

I see there is a high oil temperature indicator light on the dash, but as I said, when it stops nothing on the dash console works.

I have no idea what's wrong, unless it's overheating.

Any ideas? Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Larry

Update from 6-21-2019:
Last night ran for 12-15 minutes and quit. Did let me shift back into neutral. Have to wait an hour or 2 and it will restart, and it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

could be your oil temo sensor bad ??

the mnotor has a safety switch designed to shut motor off when it gets too hot!
going slow in low gears for longer periods of ttiume is hard on a motor, that is designed for some bettrer air flow to help cool
SO with this said,
when was the last time you checked and cleaned your radiator? and i mean BOTH sides of it, , many wash the easy side and leave the back side to get all clogged up and then it doesn't cool very well at all
OR when was the last time you actually replace the coolant?
it does go bad over time and not work as it should!
NEXT when was the last time you changed your motor oil and oil filter, same deal
GOOD syn oil will help a motor run cooler too!
how about your air filter? is that slo clean and flowing good air

LAST,
this is a carb'd atv correct??
SO< next time it shuts off, have you tried opening the fuel cap, to hear if air rushes in/out?
as could be getting vapor lock if fuel vent cap is not working properly< rather common deal

and last
is there a in line fuel filter on this atv, and if so, when was it last replaced??
poor fuel flow will shut things down too!
szyg6h and Chalkymon like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:06 AM
Honda Rider

His would not be liquid cooled, would it? But maybe some similar device with air cooled.

I thought of the fuel cap too, happens all the time with my John Deere lawn tractor

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

even if not liquid cooled, there is a oil cooler that can can get all clogged up and stop it from working properly!
so if not actual coolant rad, then the oil cooler should also be cleaned now and then as needed!
szyg6h and Chalkymon like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
If the display is going dead (NOTHING showing, right?) you have a connection overheating somewhere.

Next time it does it, check the wires coming off the bottom of the main 30A fuse for power.

I had a 500 that had a good fuse in it, but the fuse wasn't making a good connection to the wire coming OUT of the fuse box, so the bike would randomly die, even though the fuse was good. I discovered (using a test light) that I had power going into the fuse, and the fuse was good so it showed power on both sides, but there was no power coming out on the wire coming out of the fuse box.
szyg6h, mrbb and Chalkymon like this.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page