Honda Foreman Forums banner

Oil change now...oil temp light??

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  mrbb 
#1 ·
Ok...I changed oil and filter... Filed back up with 5w 30 with ffull synthetic mobile one. Filter is in correctly (double checked.) no oil leaks... Oil is filled to max level. Started up and fan kicked in right away and oil light came on...won't shut off.

Any ideas?

Yes..this is the first time I changed the oil in this atv. Have changed oil in other equips....no issues.

#2 ·
This site rocks.....find an old thread...that suggested a ground wire. Yup...that is it. When I was changing oil. I noticed a wiring hanging down by the oiled drain plug...I thought it looked a bit out of place so I tucked it back in by the other wires. Well....I grounded it out and the sensor was set to go off auto. Untucked it and good to go.

Thanks...

#7 ·
My worry would be you have a wire, not connected to anything, that has something to do with your cooling fan. If it indeed is to control your fan you might just burn up that motor if you don't figure it out.
There aren't a lot of superfluous wires on an ATV so it is probably important...if it wasn't added by a PO.
It's worth looking into I think

Darrell

#8 ·
Now that you mention it.... I do NOT notice the fan turn on much at all. We only just got the atv this spring TRX500FE 2007 electronic shift in handle. I don't ride it very hard since purchase....but it makes me wonder if the wire should be connected.

#9 · (Edited)
Crap...well.. You may be right.. We may have a problem. The wire in question looks like it should be connected to another black sensor I found. I guess I should have put it together. I mean...I touch the wire to metal...then the fan goes on and oil temp light goes on. Take a look at the pic. You can see the exposed wire (bottom left) and then the circle black with metal center sensor (top right)...I imagine...they should be connected.

I will be calling the dealer I bought the atv from a few months ago tomorrow.

Attachments

#10 ·
Well...looks like it is the oil temp sensor. Wire that is not hooked up. Based on the diagram below...one of the wires is for the reverse switch (that is hooked up). The exposed wire that is not hooked up is for the oil temp sensor. Ugg. Must have been that way since I purchase a few months back.

So question is....did the engine ever overheat...(though I never road for more than 1hr at a time) ...

I need to call the dealer tomorrow and talk them into fixing the wires and doing a compression test. If it fails...I will be pissed.

Attachments

#11 ·
If the engine runs and doesn't smoke and you don't water in oil or oil in water you might be OK. It isn't the time you ride that could require the fan to turn on but the type of riding and the air temp. IE if cruising dirt roads at 20 deg F you likely wouldn't need the fan but just idling or going up a steep hill in 100 deg F would need the fan real quick.

Sounds like you found where the wire belongs.

Darrell

#12 ·
Well...I would say I ran the atv somewhere in the middle of what u described...maybe towards the lower/cooler end of ur description. Put maybe 4tanks of gas through it since purchase 3-4 hrs of use? Engine never smoked...never left idle for extended periods.

Calling the dealer in about 1 hr. American marine in shawano WI. I believe they will stand behind the purchase. I am not a mechanic...and now that I recall....I remember hooking the ATV on the trailer when we picked it up in late March (35 F degree weather). Anyway...when I was latching the ATV on the trailer...I remember noticing the a small wire hanging down under the ATV. (The one from the pic)

It was not overly exposed...so I did not think much of it... However....now that I have gotten a closer look at the wire (with the oil change) and the fact the the fan does not kick on....I know it was this way when I bought it.

Ugg...buyer beware...just hope the dealer stands behind it and takes care of it. That is why I went with them vs. a private party in the first place....

Edit...also to your point...there was no water in the oil when I changed it.
Thanks for your post.

#13 ·
So...spoke to the dealer... They said they would take care of me and fix sensor and test engine compression. Further they said with this make year and model of engine. The fan really does not kick on much UNLESS...the engine is caked with mud...and you are in 100 degree heat riding hard in mid July .

He said the engine is 90 % air cooled and the fan is primarily a secondary aid when it gets too hot...however...it needs to be remedied. The guy I spoke with sounded very familiar with the make and year of the Forman and said if the engine has never smoked or if I never experienced any power loss...etc... I am fine....these engines are built very tough...etc.

he also said the engine does have an oil cooler process....via the air flow cooling in the front of the atv when riding.

So...we will see when I bring in for service...glad they said they will take care of things.

#14 ·
\There seem to be some cross posting between the two 500 models (Foreman and Rubicon) from time to time and since you didn't mention anything specific about your ATV I "assumed" it was the liquid cooled Rubi. The air cooled Foreman rarely uses the fan. Like the dealer said you are likely just fine.

Darrell

#16 ·
Well...American Marine just called. the unit is fixed. no damage to engine. They fixed the sensor wire, they adjusted the Valves and apparently they adjusted my clutch (I was noticing when I downshift at times...it was not wanting to - upon initial start up...however, after the engine warmed up a bit...then it would downshift no problem). Apparently, with the clutch adjustment...they are not seeing the issue any more.

Going to pick it up next saturday. Hopefully...the Oil sensor wire being disconnected is behind me and the fan will now work when needed. On top of that...I had the valves maintenance done and clutch adjusted as a CS gesture.

Hope things are going to be on the mend now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.