Timing issues? - Page 2 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Also noticed I can push up on the tensioner with my finger, so I guess it is not bottomed out. Is there supposed to be a spring between tensioner and guide? All was taken apart when I got machine at my shop. A picture of this would really help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thanks Todddub for the pdf

That helps tremendously. Going now to work on it. Still not sure about making a stopper tool for the cam chain tensioner.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Garage
All you need is a small flat screwdriver for the tensioner. Remove the center screw and turn it until the tension is released and give it just a touch more and it will stay. Once everything is together just loosen it a little and the spring will take over in the tensioner and put it where it needs to be.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Tensioner

Is the tensioner(lifter one) supposed to be resting on the chain guard tensioner? Mine is at least an inch away and the chain is just flopping up and down. Is it possible the wrong chain has been put on there? Or is the chain guard tensioner defective? Just want an idea before I take the cam gear and everything else off.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Garage
Any way you can post a pic. I could tell you many things just from a look.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Honda Rider

I sounded like you said the timing mark on the cam gear, when lined up with the timing mark under the clutch cover resulted in the the timing mark on the cam being in the 10 o-clock position. So you will have to take the cam gear off anyway.

I just replaced my cam chain and tensioner on Tuesday on my 1999 Foreman 450ES so it is still fresh in my mind. After installing the new Cam Chain and Tensioner there was no slack in my chain.

Maybe your cam chain tensioner lifter is bad or not adjusted properly, if that is even possible? I think it either works or it dosen't.

All's I know is that after lining up all 3 timing marks and re-assembling the topend, I hit the starter button and the thing immediatly came to life.

Other thoughts, I could see the timing mark (T) on the flywheel, but did not see any punch marks on the crankcase to line it up with. I gave it my best guess based on the stroke of the piston, then aligned the marks on the cam, cam gear and inner front clutch housing. I may have got lucky that I was not 180 degrees off.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I will try to post a pic tomorrow. Yes when I put the crank on TDC with the T lined up in the window. The cam is at 10 instead of 12 where it should be. As far as the lifter tensioner goes how far should it stick out? Customer said they started it up and took off and it just died and would not restart. I have timed a lot of V8 engines and built them on stands, but this thing is a pain in my a__.
Thanks for the help
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Honda Rider

It sounds as if something was not reassembled correctly. Ain't no telling what could have gone wrong when they started it.

I am an old honda guy from back in the 80's & 90's. I used to consider myself a pretty good tech back in those days, but these newer Honda 4 wheelers have me second guessing myself...

Get a picture posted for "InTooDeep to look at, he seems to know his stuff.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Garage
The adjuster looks to be bad, most likely the spring inside it broke so it's not putting tension on the guide. They are not all that uncommon to go bad on these machines. You can try turning the internal screw with a small flat screw driver to make sure it's not just locked into place.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Do you have to pull the motor back down to change the adjuster(I mean the head and jug)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page