Backfire! - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moccasin Ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Backfire!

I removed my muffler and wrapped it with header wrap, because it was putting out alot of heat onto my side plastics. After wrapping, I get a muffled backfire when I turn off the bike, there's a slight pause first. This is an aftermarket muffler thats been on the bike for about 3 or 4 years. It didn't do that til I removed it and wrapped it. It's a utility style muffler not a performance muffler. It doesn't have any type of heatsheild, so I tried the wrap to see if it would help, it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Honda Rider

Has it always put out a lot of heat to the plastics since you added it 3-4 years ago or did this just start? The backfire your getting now of course is from the heat not being able to escape as before, a trade off you will probably have to live with.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

I'd keep an eye on your spark plug too, might need to make some carb adjustments for the new runnings(gathering this is a carb'd machine, as NOT really sure LOL)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:22 PM
Honda Lover

Carbon buildup on the piston and valves, the extra retained heat (from the wrap) allows hot carbon to detonate raw fuel in the combustion chamber.

Allowed to build up enough, carbon can cause this without wrapping the exhaust. My tractor does the same thing on shutdown - Carbon. Seafoam in the gas can help.

Are you running premium gas? Causes carbon buildup in engines designed to run on regular.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

It's a carb machine. I had running issues earlier in year and rebuilt the carb. It still don't seem to run right when its cold, but it's always cold natured.
It's been running hot on the plastics for the last year for sure, I don't know for sure if it did it from when I first installed the muffler. I don't recall noticing the extreme heat at first. May just try another muffler, any recommendations for a utility muffler, not a performance loud pipe.
I run only non-ethanol regular gas.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

maybe a OEM exhaust again, and heat shields
do you run syn oil?
as if not, it could help a LITTLE on heat, or I sure noticed a difference when I switched, as my fan doesn;t come doing same things it used to on Dino oils!

which also makes me wonder, does your fan come on often? or at all?
could be you have a bad temp switch or fan control unit if not

and remember heat can damage more than plastics, as if your heat shut down switch isn;t working or fan and tempo switch, you can over heat your motor and ruin it it?
NOT saying this is happening, just food for thought!
and again if your having running issue's, maybe compression is off or on its way down?
I have a 400 foreman the smaller brother to your 450, and its never ever had any issue's with running in any temp, and have owned it since new 20+ yrs ago, and its run in minus 30 to 100+ degree temps, working it too, not just joy riding!
idles just fine ion all temps, and just runs the same!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Yes, fan comes on but seems like it should come on sooner. I rode a friends newer model foreman and his fan came on sooner, like at a lower temp. Motor don't seem to run hot, it's just the exhaust with no heat shield between it and plastics. I just didn't want the $400 plus oem setup.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Honda Lover

If it's running lean, it will make more heat.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

How do I check and adjust running lean. I've adjusted the air mixture screw to what throttled up the best.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Honda Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttriton View Post
How do I check and adjust running lean. I've adjusted the air mixture screw to what throttled up the best.

Should adjust for the highest idle, then reset idle. Lean mixture tends to be crisp on throttle-up, unless the transition to mid or high range is too large and then you'll see stumble or hesitation.

Reading the spark plug color will show how the mixture is working. Lean idle mix usually leads to popping on decel. Roll the screw 1/4 turn inward until idle stumbles, roll out 1/4 turns until the idle stops increasing, roll back inward that last 1/4 turn that made no rpm increase. Check idle and reset if needed. You might try to compare the current setting with this re-adjustment, should give you an idea where you were to begin with.
mrbb likes this.

Last edited by Moccasin Ranger; 11-07-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page