How to take apart 4wd actuator? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By jeepwm69
  • 2 Post By Fishfiles
  • 2 Post By Mister Muskeg
  • 1 Post By Fishfiles

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

How to take apart 4wd actuator?

Anyone ever take apart the 4wd actuator? I have been having intermittent loss of 4wd. The issue is the front. I tied back end to tree to verify and neither front wheels turn. Have never had a code flash. All splines and driveshaft seem good. Talked to dealer and he figures it’s the actuator. Is there supposed to be oil in the actuator? I ask as I did have some in there when I took it apart. Also another thing I thought strange is the plug has power whether it’s in 2 or 4wd. I don’t understand how these magnets in these actuators work. Please help. Btw it’s a 04 450 and I’m the original owner. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Don't think the actuator is serviceable. It's an electromagnet and I think the switch grounds it to actuate it.

You could run constant ground the green wire going to the actuator, and 12V to the orange/white wire and see if it stays engaged. If not, you'll have to replace the actuator.

I would buy an entire front diff used. The new actuators are $$$. Cheaper to buy a whole front diff with one attached.
Trout Brook Rider and Wilbur like this.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Honda Addict

Garage
I have 2 good 450 front diffs that are electric ( 2002-2004 ) , both with all the speed sensors and actuators on them , $200 each , don't ship , southeast Louisiana pick up ----considering just the actuator alone cost about $450 from Honda , $200 for a front diff , 2 $75 speed sensors and $450 actuator is a good deal
Trout Brook Rider and Wilbur like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Honda Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Muskeg View Post
Anyone ever take apart the 4wd actuator? I have been having intermittent loss of 4wd. The issue is the front. I tied back end to tree to verify and neither front wheels turn. Have never had a code flash. All splines and driveshaft seem good. Talked to dealer and he figures itís the actuator. Is there supposed to be oil in the actuator? I ask as I did have some in there when I took it apart. Also another thing I thought strange is the plug has power whether itís in 2 or 4wd. I donít understand how these magnets in these actuators work. Please help. Btw itís a 04 450 and Iím the original owner. Thanks.
I have a spare one for a 500 that just needs a new bearing so if you get any good info on this please let us know. From observing the one I have, I tend to agree with Jeep.......again.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Well I ended up buying a complete used diff with actuator and swapped it out. My 4x4 works again. It does appear you can replace the bearings in the actuator but need special tools to take it apart.

One question I do have still is how much oil is supposed to be in the actuator. The original one I removed did have some oil but not a crazy amount. The used one I swapped in had a lot more oil in it when I removed the speed sensor. Both cases diff was drained prior to removing.
jeepwm69 and The Macarena Man like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:18 PM
Honda Addict

Garage
I can't tell you about oil in the actuator , never tried to take on apart ------- I can say I had troubles with mine a few times where I lost 4x4 in the woods , I done away with the electric shift front diff on my 2002 , put a 2000 front diff and a 4x2 kickout , lost my speedometer but don't really need it
Trout Brook Rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page