01 450 es - oil change - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

01 450 es - oil change

hello everyone. Just signed up , found a few interesting reads on this forum.

I have an 01 450 es, have had it for about 10 years now. I changed the oil a couple years back but forgot what type of oil to use. I ordered a filter for it but need to pick up the oil. can anyone suggest a type of oil for it ? It has 3k miles on it.

I only use it for plowing (I live upstate NY). During the other seasons I really dont use it, I start it from time to time just to keep it running. Electronic shift went out a few years back, I replaced the shift motor but that didnt fix it so I bought a foot shift pedal which works fine. I just also ordered an angle sensor to try that, figured I would give it a try as I really havent done anything to the machine in a couple years.

Thanks for the help.
Vic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

it will take 10w40 oil designed for WET clutch approved spec's, has to be wet clutch approved oil
and just in weights that work in the temps you will run things in

I personally run AMsoil 0-40 4STROKE oil(and plow snow often in winters and in temps from minus 30 to 100+ in summer time)
and have for 20 yrs now on my 400, and she runs like a new yet

but there are ton sof good oil on the market today to pick from!

I will add this, and NO dis respect meant!
OIL really shouldn't be going more than a yr before being changed even on low use motors, and the reasons is, condensation and temp swings and oil just breaking down
its your atv and you can do as you wish, but very few folks will recommend going YRS without an oil change, even on low use machines, its sort of asking for a possible issue!

like they say, some folks buy lottery tickets and win, some DON"T, so just cause things seem OK< doesn't mean they are!

oil is rather cheap insurance of long life to any motor!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

thanks for the info. none taken, your completely right. no excuses, i just havent done it ;(
I'll grab some oil for it, and make sure its wet clutch approved. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page