98 Foreman 450ES starting issue - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

98 Foreman 450ES not starting new info.

Hello,
Need help with 98 Foreman that has sat for two years originally parked with a little gas with stabil. Went to start it and tank was empty. Thought from evaporation.
Before parking had someone install an aftermarket carb and it ran but didn't get up to speed. He also installed an online filter which I now know is not a good idea.
After fueling, I noticed a few small drops in the petcock area. It would never kick off, just burn the starting fluid. It flooded and is getting gas. Later that day and since I have dripping from the bottom carb overflow drain and now thinking the little gas that was in it, probably slowly drained out instead of evaporating??
Should I change the petcock and remove the inline filter? Would the petcock prevent starting even though it is getting gas and flooding or do I have a carb issue? Thank you!

Last edited by Whit1968; 07-31-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: New info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Jus revised with new info. Thanks!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

most aftermarket carbs are JUNK
there very hit and miss at best,
so, IF it was possible, get your old carb and do a rebuild to it and make sure all is good and clean
and reinstall that

NEXT< the name of the game in fuel issues is start at the source and go down stream

a fuel tank sitting almost empty for a LONG time can get dirty inside
SO< this tends to mean, DRAIN and MAKE sure tank is clean inside(and fuel cap vent is working correctly)
then, make sure peacock is clean and flowing GOOD< as YES a slow flowing peacock will NOT keep up with fuel demands needed to run well!

NEXT is fuel line, after sitting so long, and if any ethanol fuel was used, it can have build up inside that can flake off and cause carb issues, so since fuel line is cheap, REPLACE IT from tank to carb
NOW as for fuel filters, many run them and NO isssue's(if installed correctly there is direction they have to be installed with)

SOME Folks have had issues after installing them and NOT getting enough fuel flow to run well, so, this is a personal thing, and they can always be removed if needed!

NOW clean tank, good working peacock, and new fuel line

NOW is the time to clean carb, if you clean before doing the above, you can be wasting your time!

SO< once you clean carb and I DON"T mean just spraying parts with carb cleaner!
but actually making sure all passages are clean and free flowing, NO build up on any parts and float adjusted correctly!
you should NOT have any more fuel related issues!
BUT That doesn't mean all is perfect
you still need to have to make sure other hings are good too
a GOOD clean oiled air filter, a GOOD spark plug
and GOOD compression on motor
a MOTOR that has sat a LONG time, can have rights that freeze up and lower compression and NOT allow to start
rust in cylinders can happen too!

, so, if after your whole fuel system and air system is good and you have GOOD clean spark and it doesn't YET run, time to check compression
from there,??
get there and tell us what happens first LOL

but the above should solve all your issue's
skip steps and well,
might get lucky , then again, might just waste your time and have to repeat things a few times!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thank you Mrbb! I am thankful for the advice! I have two questions about your post. First, is there a way to check and clean the petcock?
Also, I sadly have lost track of the original carb during a move and I cannot afford what a new Honda carb will be. Locally they priced one at 450.00 or so and 95.00 for a petcock. Do you or so!some recommend a decent aftermarket carb and peacock of they need replaced? Over seen !any on the big auction site and the Big online store but do want to try to get a proven one.
Thanks again for all of your help!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

as for peacock, fill tank, and open and close a bunch cof times and into res as well!
with fuel in but hose off to carb and make sure fuel stream is flowing really fast, thick full flow like out of nozzle!
if not, it can be gunked up and be a problem, ethanol fuel over times leaves a varnish like coating on parts that can become so thick it clogs things up, and it is HARD to get off, same for carb parts and fuel lines.
old trick is to BOIL in lemon juice to remove it, but just HARD parts, that won't melt, lots of YOUTUBE Videos on this too if you look!
spraying ethanol coated things with carb cleaner or even soaking most times is a waste of time, it just doesn;t remove it!
and its why many times its why, after a guy says they CLEANED a carb, and still have issue's, the carb is still dirty!
ultra sonic cleaners do work but still takes time to get things CLEAN clean!

also, drain fuel out of tank/peacock into a clear container and make sure its all coming out clean! if not you still have either a dirty tank, or junk in peacock is coming off, or both!

if you don;t remove all crap from both any clean carb will NOT be clean for long and you will be back to square one all over again with issues!

I know of NO good aftermarket carbs, there cheap for a reason, and very HIT or miss at best!

maybe try and find a used OEM carb, and rebuild it, aftermarket carbs are just known to be JUNK more times than not, buying 1-2-3 of them ends up costing more than just buying a OEM
sucks, but is what it is!

ebay, or maybe face book for a used one, or a salvage yard??

you can even maybe try and post a tread here asking for a good used OEM one for sale> never know, lots of members here buy a LOT of atv's and have parts one's sitting around!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thank you once again Mrbb! I am making progress and have started at the fuel tank. I noticed someone who previously worked on this left out the two front bolts that anchor the fuel tank to the frame. Do you know what size these would be?
Also I have washed out the tank and now will do the boiled Lemon juice to clean it well. I also saw some using pine sol. Do you think a combination of the two would be good?
Thanks so much for all of the help!

Last edited by Whit1968; 08-05-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Honda Lover

Here's a site that has a pretty good parts breakdown, maybe it will show the bolts you need.

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts

I saw one member said his petcock was 90% clogged and making problems. One way too check that is undo the hose from the carburetor and let it drain in a glass container, it should flow well, better than a drip. Doesn't sound like what you're experiencing but could be part of the problem.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Thank you all so much! You each gave me advice I needed and used. I am getting ready to put it all back together and have a couple more questions.
First, when first getting to the carb, I noticed two rubber hoses coming from the carb to a Y connector and the single hose was not going anywhere. Is this just for an air intake and not supposed to go anywhere or am I missing where it is to go?
Next, after the rebuilt carb is all installed, do you recommend a best way to kick it off or does it not matter and just choke it and go for it? May be a silly question but I don't want to get this far and do something stupid with a fresh carb.
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit1968 View Post
Thank you all so much! You each gave me advice I needed and used. I am getting ready to put it all back together and have a couple more questions.
First, when first getting to the carb, I noticed two rubber hoses coming from the carb to a Y connector and the single hose was not going anywhere. Is this just for an air intake and not supposed to go anywhere or am I missing where it is to go?
Next, after the rebuilt carb is all installed, do you recommend a best way to kick it off or does it not matter and just choke it and go for it? May be a silly question but I don't want to get this far and do something stupid with a fresh carb.
Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it!
there are NO stupid questions if asking them gets you an answer and you learn from it

so
as for the carb lines, look up a part schematic on things and see what hoses you are talking about
once you whole fuel system is clean, and you re filled the tank with fresh fuel, just turn on things as if to start, fuel peacock on run, if choke is needed do so and all should be fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page