Oil temp sensor wire question - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Oil temp sensor wire question

Hi guys
Last summer my fan worked as it should, this yr Iíve noticed it hasnít been running, itís been hot outside and I started looking into it online, so I did the troubleshooting of testing the fan by grounding the blue wire from the temp sensor, anyways fan works, so when I looked more the wire blue one to the sensor appeared damaged, I tried continently test and didnít get a beep, my question is how do u disconnect the wire from the temp sensor does it just pop off? Iím hoping to pop it off and repair the wire and reattach, thanks for ur help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

I believe the wires on the sensor are sealed into it, and NOT made to come out of sensor, doing so will damage the sensor
I think there only like 20 bucks, so, maybe just get a new one, and replace it at next oil change or sooner if need be

OR can also, just add a on/off switch to fan, many seem to like this idea?

I prefer it like OEM had it
I have replaced like 4 of them on my 400 foreman over the past 20 yrs, they never last long for me it seems LOL
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Honda Addict

Garage
To test the system you can disconnect your temp sensor and jump to ground if your fan comes on its working as it should if not check your fan control box or the temp sensor. There are a bunch of videos on youtube that are extremely helpful. I did all the test on the wiring and the fan and found the issue was with the fan control box. I pulled it and realized there was corrosion and dirt in the connector. Cleaning and die electric grease got my whole system working perfectly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I did the one test grounding the blue wire and the fan kicks on, but visually I see the wire going to the sensor the plastic coating is broken, haven’t taken skid plate off to fully be able to see but I was hoping my issue was just a broken wire and I was hoping to be able to just pull it off sensor and repair wire, I tested engine area temp with laser temp gun and I’ve read 300f is when the fan should kick on but I haven’t hit that temp so far, I guess next step will be to take the skid plate off for a closer look at the wire and repair and hope thats the issue if not I’ll move on the next test
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

One more thing, where do I find the fan control box andwill it require me taking off plastics?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasamada View Post
One more thing, where do I find the fan control box andwill it require me taking off plastics?
it should be a black box right next to your CDI, and no plastic should need to come off, but be a little tricky snaking your arm in there to get at it, is but possible
if your fan already works, , as you tested, , its either going to be the oil temp sensor(cheap) or the fan control units,(NOT so cheap)
odds are if your seeing wire damage its the oil temp sensor
I again had several temp senors go bad on me over the yrs, and only 1 fan control unit, so the weaker link is the sensor IMO!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Honda Addict

Garage
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...an-s/crankcase, if you look at item 6 in this diagram. Its the wire that goes from the harness to the temp sensor. Its a hat style connector that just plugs into the oil temp sensor try replacing that as well as the sensor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page