Not getting fuel - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wilbur
  • 1 Post By Moccasin Ranger

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Not getting fuel

New member here looking for some tech support. My step-daughter has a 2003 Foreman 450 ES. The bike just had a brand new carb installed 2 weeks ago. She took it for a weekend ride to a local ranch and it ran fine all weekend (10+ hours of riding), no issues until the last day. The bike died while crossing knee deep water and I towed it back to camp with my Sportsman. Some friends of ours that have more experience with these found the spark plug "T" cap had separated from the wire and although we tried to reconnect it, we couldn't get a spark and they told me the coil must be bad. I purchased the entire new plug, wire, cap and plugged it into the bike. Also purchased a new spark plug. The bike is getting a spark "it is visible connected with the spark plug pulled from the block and turning over". But, the bike refuses to start. Choke cable is functioning and the bike has a full tank of gas and again IS getting a spark. Bike is in neutral and brake depressed when attempting to start. I don't know where to start looking and I think the bike is getting no fuel. Choke, no choke, throttle depressed or not, it just turns over and over and never sounds differently, never chokes, surges or anything. Just the same turnover noise over and over. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Honda Lover

It seems that's how it goes sometimes when you're messing with some body else's ride and not your own. Bet if it was yours and you got the new parts it would have started right up. Try squirting some starting fluid, choke cleaner, wd40 or whatever you have in the cylinder and see if it starts. If you have fire, all you need is fuel and compression..........one out of three is verified already.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Honda Addict

Have you pulled the fuel line off the carb to see if anything is coming out? Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away I pushed my dirt bike about 4 miles home because I swore to be dambed the coil was fried. Kicked until I was blue in the face, push a few hundred yards and it would light and go like mad for 50 yards and die. Repeat, repeat repeat until I was home. As it turned out I was running on reserve the whole time and ran her plumb out of gas. Yeah.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Honda Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
It seems that's how it goes sometimes when you're messing with some body else's ride and not your own. Bet if it was yours and you got the new parts it would have started right up. Try squirting some starting fluid, choke cleaner, wd40 or whatever you have in the cylinder and see if it starts. If you have fire, all you need is fuel and compression..........one out of three is verified already.

I don't think wd40 is flammable these days. I tried to light a brush pile with some, no luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
WD40 won't cut it anymore, but it should fire on starter fluid. If it doesn't, you either have a stuck valve or it jumped time (assuming you do have spark).

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Honda Lover

Dang, they're taking the fun out of everything now days. I remember when I use to put a cap full of pine o pine in a cup of chlorine. It would smoke up half a city block. Great fun and smell for the guy that parks his car across the street from your house while you're trying to sleep, playing the boom boom crapola.
jeepwm69 likes this.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
Dang, they're taking the fun out of everything now days. I remember when I use to put a cap full of pine o pine in a cup of chlorine. It would smoke up half a city block. Great fun and smell for the guy that parks his car across the street from your house while you're trying to sleep, playing the boom boom crapola.
Can't even use starter fluid to blow up tires/seat the bead anymore. It's propane instead of ether, unless you get it from the John Deere Dealership.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda Lover

In a pinch, I'll put gas in a spray bottle and force feed them that way.

Yes I've notice starting fluid doesn't have the snap it used to.

Radiator flush is really weak now, not even worth buying.

They took all the fun out of toilet bowl cleaners too, and made it a felony if you happen to figure it out.

While we're on the subject ... Please, please, please, do not use brake clean to fire an engine, or burn it in any way. Brake clean with chlorine in it produces deadly phosgene gas. One whiff can mess you up, and a little more will kill you or at least seriously damage your lungs. Phosgene was used in WWI as a weapon. I shot some into a throttle body once and barely escaped. There's been cases of welders getting gassed, welding metal cleaned with brake cleaner. A lot of brake cleaner no longer has chlorine in it.

Brake Cleaner Warning
https://www.google.com/search?client...leaner+warning
jeepwm69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page