Gas in oil - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Gas in oil

Had this 450es 2000 3 days now. Couldn’t get the oil dipstick to unscrew. Was riding grandbabies this evening and it kinda felt like it was missing or fuel. Then went dead. Gas tank gauge showed empty. Put about gallon and a half of gas in it. Wouldn’t start, pulled it up the street to house. Took air breather element out and found gas/oil in the plastic breather housing. Used big channel lock pliers on the dipstick and got it to moving. Unscrewed it and gas/oil came running out. Drained the oil and got one gallon and about a half pint to come out. What caused this. Do I need or “HAVE TO”always turn the fuel off when not running. Kinda believe fuel was in crankcase when I bought it. I rode around very briefly on it when I bought it. Got it on my trailer and loaded. The next day while still on the trailer I tried to unscrew the dipstick then and it wouldn’t budge. Today when I did get the dipstick out the o- ring was distorted and blowed out on one side. I am changing the oil and the filter, before starting the engine again what else should I do or examine? This is my first four wheeler ever alsoand it is full time four wheel drive. Steers very hard while trying to turn around at the intersection on my street. Is this normal? If so I dislike that enormously. Are all full time four wheel drives like that? This bike I bought has only one owner, never used in water or abused, everything works and looks excellent. Help with ideas. Do I need a carburetor rebuild or just alwaysturn fuel off. If Ineed a rebuild do I buy a rebuild kit from Honda or who?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Honda Lover

Carb needs attention, it's overflowing when it's parked, and most likely really rich when it's running. Stuck float is my first guess, but the overflow tube inside has a habit of cracking. When you get the float out, shake it to see if there's gas inside it. Also, the smallest bit of crud can hold the float valve open.

I get most of my parts from ebay.

With the oil caps, I only turn them until snug. Any tighter and they'll stick every time.
jeepwm69 likes this.

Last edited by Moccasin Ranger; 06-11-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Honda Addict

What MR said, fix the carb! Fuel does not lubricate very well! The fuel is swelling your oil dipstick. I would buy a carb kit that has the floats and needle/seat. I’ve always used 2wheel drive on pavement. The front tires are fighting each other when turning on pavement in 4X4 mode...

2008 420 Rancher manual shift. Rubicon alum wheels & tires (old style). RT 2500 Warn winch.
2015 500 Rubicon-manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch. Strong made receiver hitch.
2018 Foreman, manual shift, Warn provantage 2500-S, KFI mount.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Pipercub the 2000 450 is full time four wheel drive though. Seems too hard to steer even in the back yard. I raised the front end with a jack and the handlebars turned very easily with tires off the ground.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Moccasin Ranger, my overflow tube is doubled up and tie strapped. The owner had bought the little one way valve that goes on the end of the overflow tube. He gave it to me when I purchased the bike. He had just not installed. Am going to change the oil and filter and disassemble the carburetor today. If I feel it’s necessary I will buy a new needle and seat. Have to go to the Honda shop anyway to buy a new O-ring for the dipstick and oil filter. What weight oil do the 450’s require? Where is the overflow tube inside at specifically. You say they have a habit of cracking. Do you have a picture showing this? Been away from 3-&4-wheelers a long time now.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM
Honda Lover

It will look similar to the one below, this is a trx450r. The long brass tube sticking up from the bottom of the bowl. I found some drawings but this pic shows it better. Disregard the red pointer.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Yep, stuck float, and the overflow tube (brass tube sticking up in MR's pic) must be stopped up, so when the carb filled up with gas, instead of it running out of the overflow tube and onto the ground, it filled up your crankcase with gas.

So take the carb off, clean it, put a Shindy carb kit in it, and put it back together. That SHOULD fix your leaky carb. Make sure the overflow is clear, and if the float sticks again you'll get a tell-tale puddle of gas on the ground under the wheeler instead of a crankcase full of gas.

It will not steer easily being a full time 4wd machine. You can buy a Wide Open 424 disconnect for it, which replaces your factory front driveshaft with a cable operated selectable front driveshaft, and allows you to put the machine in 2wd.

You can also swap in an 02-04 front diff, which has an electric actuator in it. That will require the 02-04 front diff, front driveshaft (which will have to be shortened about an inch), and a switch, which will have to be wired.

Either way you will have a MUCH easier to ride machine. While you're at it, you might look at adding disc brakes up front. You can either buy a conversion, or get knuckles, hubs/rotors, and calipers from an 05-11 Foreman, 05-14 Rubicon, or 06-19 Rincon and put them on there.

The 450's are the last of the really bulletproof Hondas IMO. They lack some creature comforts that the newer ones have, but you can add creature comforts to a 450, and once you do you will have a really tough bike.
Majorpayne likes this.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Moccasin Ranger thank-you
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Jeepwm69 thanks so much for your input. What oil is recommended for the 450es, thank-you
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls8836 View Post
Jeepwm69 thanks so much for your input. What oil is recommended for the 450es, thank-you
I run Rotella 15W40 T4 (white jug) or Rotella T6 5W40 (blue jug). Look on the specs on the bottle and look for "JASO MA" which means it is wet clutch approved. The Rotella T5 blend does NOT have JASO MA on it so I wouldn't risk using that one, even though if I had to guess it also meets the specs.

Honda has their GN4, Valvoline makes ATV/Motorcycle 10W40, and Mobil makes the 4T. All are fine. Just look for a 40 weight oil that has JASO MA on the bottle somewhere.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page