New to me 2001 Foreman 450 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

New to me 2001 Foreman 450

Just got a 2001 Foreman for $250 from a buddy. It is actually my first ATV. My buddy cleaned the carb with his ultrasonic cleaner and we put new gas in and she fired right up. He had it parked for about 2 years. I just changed the oil, changed spark plug, and cleaned the air filter in it. I put seafoam in the fuel and oil. It has a little skip some, but my friend thinks I need to adjust the idle/airn screw because he turn it a turn and a half or half a turn; can't remember.

It needs some TLC. Currently I need to fix:
-LCD gauge (sun damaged/doesn't come on)
-Needs new brakes...the whole system looks shot. (I am debating a disc brake system)
-Valves may need adjusting eventually
-Needs new tires (current ones hold air, but are dry rotted
-Body work
-Vent hoses (I guess. These are at the hubs. They are broken and brittle).

I may find more stuff that needs to be done.

Any suggestions/opinions what to do next or known where the best place to get stuff?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_190855_1560045216213.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	41617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_202938_1560045242815.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	41619   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_203009_1560045272117.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	41621   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_202942_1560045302457.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	41623   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_202951_1560045320600.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	41625  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

welcome to the site and congrats on the new to you atv, sounds like you got a heck of a deal on it too!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
welcome to the site and congrats on the new to you atv, sounds like you got a heck of a deal on it too!
Thanks. I may add a little 2 inch lift right now. Shocks aren't that great. Maybe it will hold me over for now

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Honda Rider

Wow! What a deal, well, steal!!! Anything that sits for a long period of time will start showing you what's bad once you start throwing heat cycles in it. Vent lines and things like that will be dry rotted, fuel line, brake vent lines but no big deal, very inexpensive and just some time. I would however say after seeing all the rust underneath due to it's sitting and you mentioning the brakes that they'll need to be gone through, cleaned and lube parts that need it and definitely clean and lube all cables. You can get some restore for the rust on frame and other parts. It's about 35 bucks a quart but will go a long long way, just follow the directions on the label exactly and you're golden. It actually neutralizes the rust and kills it, then you're ready for prime and paint (if you want to get that detailed with thing, everyone has their own level lol). Partzilla and Rocky Mountain ATV have factory new Honda parts and a really good source if you want to pay a little more for the good stuff and just be a one and done deal, then not have to worry about it for the next 25 years. Power Sports Nation is an excellent place for factory used parts and outstanding customer service. I've never received a bad part from them, but should it happen just give them a call and they will either give you a large discount or send a replacement part, whatever you prefer and they have pretty good deals but have to watch their pricing sometimes. You'll buy a complete master cylinder, brake lever and everything, for 18 bucks and then next week have the the exact same thing listed for 22 bucks, it's weird lol, but still an excellent source for factory used parts that they guarantee and stand behind, also quick with shipping that is also FREE!!! Just always, always get Honda electrical parts if you need them, new or used. Solenoids are like 12 bucks on Amazon or CheapBay and will end up frying every other component on the wheeler, so that's one area to suck it up and spend it, carburetors are the other. Shindy kits to rebuild one are excellent kits for around 20-25 bucks. I've used them for years on several 4 and 3 wheelers as well as dirt bikes and haven't ever had an issue with one yet, excellent quality!! I know several of the guys here use them as well and will attest to that. There's a lot of great guys on here that don't mind helping at all so if you have any questions, concerns or anything don't hesitate to ask man. One thing you do need that's a must have is a shop manual and I know a couple guys on here will post a link for ya to download. I take mine and set my printer up to print on front and back, like the actual manual, and get a huge 3 ring binder and place each page in a sheet protector from Staples, Office Depot or somewhere like that so if you get oil, grease and funk on a page it can be wiped right off and not smear all over the paper. It's a tad time consuming but you'll ha e it forever and will outlast you lol. I've done one like that for every wheeler and cycle I have. Is yours an S or ES? I have a 99 450s 4x4 and probably still have a copy in my Google drive I can send ya come to think of it. It covers both models so you'll be in good shape either way. Just shoot me a PM with your email and I'll shoot it to ya. Oh, and welcome to the forums! 😁
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Welcome to the board.

Do disc brakes up front. Easier to maintain, and the drums will cost just as much to rebuild and won't last.

I think Powerstroke covered the rest.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Honda Lover

Great deal! I paid $200 for a blue '87 Foreman 350D, still working on it, then I'm giving it away.

Adjust your valves! The more they wear into the valve seats, the quieter they get. So adjust valves on schedule, not just when they tick. It's a safe bet this part of routine maintenance was skipped, quite a few times.

Wanted to put disc brakes on the 350D, but you can't get them anymore from what I've seen. Have to find a kit off a parts quad.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
MR, there is a fairly recent post over on the other board where someone posted a SuperATV disc conversion on a 350 Foreman. Apparently it requires spacing the caliper mounting bracket out a little but other than that bolted on.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Honda Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
MR, there is a fairly recent post over on the other board where someone posted a SuperATV disc conversion on a 350 Foreman. Apparently it requires spacing the caliper mounting bracket out a little but other than that bolted on.

That sounds good great! What's the other forum? 350 forum here or another website? If there's been any new 350 posts, I missed them.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:47 AM
Honda Rider

$250? And it runs? You can't lose!!

The speedometer gauge for these are no longer made by Honda, so you'll have to source a used one.

I saved a 1999 450 ES a few months that was suffering a similar fate. It had been sitting about 5 or 6 years.

-new shocks and 2" lift
-front disc brake conversion
-recovered seat
-3M camo wrap
-new fender flare plastics and front skid plate
-powder coated bumper, racks, handle bars, and headlight guard
-Warn winch
-LED lights
-lots of new fasteners
-all new vent lines (just get a roll of Gates 27042 off eBay)
-dual snorkel kit
-new wheels and tires
-Warn 424 switch
-rebuild carb / adjusted valves / new NGK plug
-new control switches and grips
-changed front and rear diff gear oil and engine oil (of course!)
-repainted frame and various parts (it had a lot of surface rust)

2012 MUV700 Big Red
2013 Rancher 420 ES 4x4 (2 of these)
2000 Foreman Rubicon 500
1999 Foreman 450 ES

Last edited by Cold_Beer; 06-18-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:04 AM
Honda Rider

I think he's talking about the Hondaatvforums.net, that's actually where I met Jeep lol. It's quite a bit bigger site and gets a lot of traffic, some really good builds, info and stickys on there with very detailed info on specific repairs, upgrades and things. And the recommendation Jeep gave about the disc brake conversion is a must and absolutely correct, I love the fire out of mine!! I got a tad sidetracked responding and forgot to mention it but you will definitely be spoiled!
@ColdBeer, nice wheeler man! I've been tinkering with the idea of the wrap and have to ask...how has it held up? Did you do it yourself or have it done? My only concern is fading and scratching it all up on the trails. All of my toys stay indoors and not stored outside anywhere but just curious about the durability with UV on it over a period of time, and not sure how long yours has been on, looks brand new.
Moccasin Ranger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page