Help, smoking from the muffler on my 98 450ES - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Help, smoking from the muffler on my 98 450ES

OK need some more advise, she is now blowing smoke out the muffler. It has been running swell since the timing chain replacement and had her out last couple weeks pulling some logs for cutting. She did a great job. A couple days ago I was helping my son pull some brush out that was overgrown and on one pull I looked back and had smoke behind me. It is the whitish I guess blue smoke. Still seems to run fine and doesn't smoke right away when starting until I give her some throttle or slight load. I have tried adjusting the carb with no success. I pulled the plug and it was wet and pretty cruddy looking. The air filter is clean and no fuel in that area which is good. I am now going out to check the valves, but probably figure it is something worse. After I check valves where should I start? I surprised myself with the timing chain replacement and would like to do what is needed this time also. I will post results from the valves later.

Also the color of smoke, if it was fuel related would it not be a darker blackish color? This much lighter in color....Fun times....

Update: valves are good at .006, so any ideas much appreciated....

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:27 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

I'd start with a compression test
how many miles/hours on atv, , have you owned it since new, or how long have you had it?
atv ever been swimming??
what other motor work was done when timing chain was replaced?
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

I have to order a tester, don't have one, my friend has one but no plug adapter that fits. I just bought it last summer and it has a different engine than original. Same as it came with but the guy I bought it from also only had it a year so not sure about this engine. I don't know the history but doesn't appear to have been sunk.

When I did the timing chain I also put a cam sprocket in along with a rebuilt clutch. The head was taken to a local shop and they lapped the valves and cleaned it up.

The original engine was given to me with no discussion of what had broke on it. Along with the parts I found a new Wiseco piston kit oversize .040 for 91 mm. I may see about using that if I need these parts. I will have to take the head and get it bored.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

reason why I asked if sunk, as if was and dirt and crap was inside the motor, the longer you run it, the more damage that stuff does, and sooner or later a top end is gone and your smoking, a rather common issue in atv's today!
sellers SINK em, clean em up, and sell em, to guys that find out the hard way what they did!
about HOW Long have you ran motor since you got it, Hours wise that is?

and till you get a compression test, ??
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Since I got it, maybe 100 miles and 10 hours. I will report first of the week after I test.....As far as swimming no clue, it isn't horribly rusty anywhere so think maybe not....

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Honda Lover

Did you have the cylinder off for the timing chain job? Wondering about carbon buildup on the rings, especially the bottom set, the oil control rings. Much carbon on the top of the piston?

Oil and fuel treatments can dissolve carbon on sticky rings. Seafoam works for me, but it takes running time. Soaking the cylinder when parked extended periods will help also.

Of course the rings could just be worn out of spec.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin Ranger View Post
Did you have the cylinder off for the timing chain job? Wondering about carbon buildup on the rings, especially the bottom set, the oil control rings. Much carbon on the top of the piston?

Oil and fuel treatments can dissolve carbon on sticky rings. Seafoam works for me, but it takes running time. Soaking the cylinder when parked extended periods will help also.

Of course the rings could just be worn out of spec.
Yes head or jug was off when the timing was repaired by the shop I had taken it to. They lapped the valves and said the piston looked good and clean. The smoking started all at once last week, never did it up to that point. Only have around 10-15 hours on it since the timing change so wouldn't think carbon should be an issue. Compression tester here tomorrow so will see what it reads....

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
i would bet the rings are getting blowby. it should have been checked for proper tolerances while apart and bored to next size if needed or new rings and a light hone if it was was within specs. i try not to bore any bigger than needed so it can be bored again if needed later in life. if you already have the piston and rings have the cylinder bored to fit the oversized piston, that should be all that is needed.
bcsman likes this.

Last edited by harig; 06-02-2019 at 09:22 PM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Should get my compression tester today and hope to get some readings that will give me an idea on the problem. But yes I feel you are correct in your thinking....
mrbb likes this.

post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:21 AM
Honda Lover

What oil are you using?

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page