Help, smoking from the muffler on my 98 450ES - Page 7 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So have the engine all assembled and ready for installation, hopefully tomorrow. Have a neighbor thats gonna help, yea I know if I was a real guy I wouldn't need help!! It's a little heavier going back in as the cylinder and head were removed when we took it out. But figured I would prefer being buttoned up so nothing can enter or fall in. As with this whole project I will take it slow and easy and try to remember where all the parts lying around go back.
Majorpayne likes this.

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Honda Lover

Good luck Bcsman, sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Honda mechanics have this long standing tradition that if you have any screws or parts left over, you have to eat them.
bcsman likes this.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So far still hungry, but not done with all the parts....

Got it in the frame, now connect everything...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	41871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	41873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine 3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	41875  

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Well guys and gals the day has finally arrived, my 450ES lives to fight another war!! Only had one hiccup this morning, when I hooked fuel up to the carb it was leaking out the overflow as fast as it could. I figured the float was stuck so removed the carb, lo and behold somebody had left the drain screw at the bottom open. Closed the screw, put everything back together and with a little coaxing fired up. I started out with short run times and have graduated to driving around up and down shifting. So far I have had no problems, it really runs quieter than before. I have a couple things to play with and adjust, putting it into reverse I need to pull back hard on the brake lever. So after a couple months of fiddling and farting around I can say she lives!! Also after a couple days will put the front parts back together to make it look like a Foreman. Many thanks for all the advise for helping me thru my first tear down and rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	41877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	41879  

post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:40 AM
Honda Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
Well guys and gals the day has finally arrived, my 450ES lives to fight another war!! Only had one hiccup this morning, when I hooked fuel up to the carb it was leaking out the overflow as fast as it could. I figured the float was stuck so removed the carb, lo and behold somebody had left the drain screw at the bottom open. Closed the screw, put everything back together and with a little coaxing fired up. I started out with short run times and have graduated to driving around up and down shifting. So far I have had no problems, it really runs quieter than before. I have a couple things to play with and adjust, putting it into reverse I need to pull back hard on the brake lever. So after a couple months of fiddling and farting around I can say she lives!! Also after a couple days will put the front parts back together to make it look like a Foreman. Many thanks for all the advise for helping me thru my first tear down and rebuild.
Good job.

Brad
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Honda Lover

Great news and I bet that gives you a real good feeling knowing that you worked through it all and succeeded! I've been meaning to do a few things on mine. Do we need to make an appointment to bring ours over or should we just show up with a 12 pack?

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
Great news and I bet that gives you a real good feeling knowing that you worked through it all and succeeded! I've been meaning to do a few things on mine. Do we need to make an appointment to bring ours over or should we just show up with a 12 pack?
I'll let you discuss that with my wife...lol
Wilbur likes this.

post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

I have done some riding and felt it was a little sluggish when accelerating. After some consultation it was determined I had not been doing a decent job breaking the engine in. I have been babying it too much, so I took it for a 45 minute ride and gave it a harder workout. Lots of up and downshifting and putting a load on the engine. I needed to heat the oil and the engine up to a better operating temp. And by golly after warming up the sluggish acceleration was not there anymore, very responsive. I need to do another one or two to get it broken in, then I will change oil and filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page