Help, smoking from the muffler on my 98 450ES - Page 6 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So a few things have changed since my last post. The bottom core was delivered and after taking a look at it I found the connecting rod had some wobble to it. I measured and it was .025" and the SM says that is about the max allowed. I called PSN and talked to their parts man and described what I had found. He said pack it up and send back for a full refund. They had another one listed on Ebay and I asked if they would measure that one for connecting rod wobble before I ordered that one. I have not heard from them but have since decided to build up my spare engine. The crank on that one has hardly any wobble and the wrist pin fit is tight so why not use that and build around it? I already had the spare engine split so I started today scraping gaskets and cleaning up both halves of the split. I will be working on the front and rear covers tomorrow. I bought a couple cans of Gunk and some brushes and went at it, they came out pretty good. All but one of the bearings are in very good shape and spin free both directions after I blew the water away and oiled them. I messed up 1 of the bearings myself so I will need to order that one. Posted a couple pics of the halves...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Half 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	41767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine half 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	41769  

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

I need to replace a few bearings, the ones with access on the back should be easy to pop out. I have 2 with no back access, what is the easiest way to pop these out? I'm sure there is a tool for that but doubt I have one, one is the small bearing on the front cover where the shift motor attaches. Thanks....

post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:30 AM
Honda Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
I need to replace a few bearings, the ones with access on the back should be easy to pop out. I have 2 with no back access, what is the easiest way to pop these out? I'm sure there is a tool for that but doubt I have one, one is the small bearing on the front cover where the shift motor attaches. Thanks....
I heat chainsaw cases to 300 in a oven and the bearings will fall out as they cool.
Moccasin Ranger likes this.

Brad

post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:03 AM
Honda Lover

Any updates?

Brad
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpayne View Post
Any updates?
Yes sorry I haven't posted much lately. I ordered gasket and oil seal kits, a few bearings, all valve parts, and other oddball things. Got my bored jug back, they installed the rings on it and marked where to put them on top of the new piston. My parts finished coming in last week and I just started rebuilding today. I have been busy with other summer projects and jobs. I had torn apart and split my spare engine and am pretty much gonna use most of it to rebuild. From the looks of things I believe it has quite a few less hours than the engine I removed. The crank has no wobble and the wrist pin hole is tight compared to my removed engine. The split front and back and covers are much cleaner than the other. So my removed engine pretty much is going to be my spare now. I got the crank, balancer, and tranny parts installed today in the rear split. I lined up the lines on the crank and balancer and am making sure I can turn the drum thru the gears watching the tranny movement. Hope to finish putting the splits together tomorrow then start with all the other parts under the covers. So that's where I am...

post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:20 AM
Honda Lover

Thanks for the update.

Brad
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

new update:

Fun times, went out this morning and my put together rear half had fallen off the box I set it on last night. Crank and balancer still good, reverse idler gear assembly still together, main shaft pretty much together, but everything slid off the countershaft in a pile of gears and parts! Gotta get the SM breakout to see if I can get it back together, very disgusted with myself today. Thought I had done a great job getting things assembled, will try again.....
Majorpayne likes this.

post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So got everything cleaned up and put back together. Put all the trans parts in but when rotating the drum the middle fork seemed to be binding. So took another look at the break out and found a gear was upside down. This time the drum spun and went thru the gears better. So then I was ready to put the front case on but just wasn't sure about the crank alignment. It was wrong see pic!! So got some help to figure it out and this time got it installed and aligned correctly, see pic. Got the trans installed again and the split is no longer split! So tomorrow start with the parts that were removed to split the engine. Will not set a speed record putting back together but hope to do it right...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crank wrong.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	41847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crank right.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	41849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Halves.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	41851  
Majorpayne likes this.

post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So front and back assembled looks like its piston time. I don't have a compression tool for the rings how do you guys do this and how many hands does it take?

post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Honda Rider

If you have a big enough hose/gear clamp, give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page