Help, smoking from the muffler on my 98 450ES - Page 5 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin Ranger View Post
They should be alright. Saw some Shindy pistons too.

I know the carb kits are recommended so thought other parts would be ok..noticeably cheaper than OEM valves...will give them a shot

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So took both jugs and pistons to get them looked at. He said the piston and jug look pretty worn but the scoring doesn't look like anything but normal wear. I told him about sand or whatever could be inside the engine but he said the scoring should be deeper, just surface on the jug and piston. I took 4 pages from the SM with all the specs he needs and will take a look Monday. If it is OK and just needs a hone and the piston is OK we will just put new rings on it.

But he had doubts that will be the case. So they will do the smallest bore on the extra jug that it needs, only thing is they are gonna want to put a new piston in, neither one I have. I think thats a good idea myself at this stage. So should know Monday where we are at.

As far as the head goes, I talked to the mechanic who worked on it last winter and he said he replaced no parts, just lapped. So I will be replacing the valve parts, he did say the guides were good tho. I will get the Shindy valves, thanks for letting me know about them....
Majorpayne likes this.

post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Honda Lover

Sounds like a plan!

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin Ranger View Post
Sounds like a plan!

Well I certainly hope so!!

post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So here's what's going on with my engine problem. Things have changed abit, the 2 jugs and pistons are over at the shop. He called today and said before he makes a decision on the jugs he would like to have a new piston. We decided to get another 1mm oversize for two reasons. The old piston is pretty worn and wants a new one to check the original jug, it may work, just a hone. If not he will bore the extra jug to fit the 1mm new piston. I ordered a Wiseco, got the piston kit and a top end gasket kit for $117 shipped.

Now the update, I had concerns about the rod end where the wrist pin fits, there is a slight bit of wobble. While out taking a look at that issue, I noticed the rod had quite alot of wiggle sideways. I compared it to my spare engine and that had very little. So I had my mechanic friend out Sunday to take a look and he said he would not use it that way. So I have a couple options, neither one I wanted to do. Option one is to split it open to replace to crank and who knows what else. After looking at the SM I have concerns about doing this, first the transmission has to be removed to get the crank out and second it says I need a hydraulic press to remove the crank and balancer. Sounds beyond my capability. So second option I have seen bottom half engine assemblies for sale. I am looking at this one, just want to talk to the seller with some questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Forem...8081%7Ciid%3A1

I will have to pull my engine which I am working on, and remove front and rear covers and assemblies to swap over. Any ideas on what I am thinking??

post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

I have an issue removing the engine. There is a step to remove the reverse control cable end from the lever. It looks similar to removing the throttle cable from the carb but I can't figure it out. Can I just remove the reverse stopper arm marked with OUT by the bolt??

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
I take the cable off the back of the motor. 10mm bolt or nut, take it off, pull the arm off. The hole in the arm is D shaped so it just slides off once you remove the bolt/nut, and then will only go back on properly indexed.
Majorpayne and bcsman like this.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
I take the cable off the back of the motor. 10mm bolt or nut, take it off, pull the arm off. The hole in the arm is D shaped so it just slides off once you remove the bolt/nut, and then will only go back on properly indexed.

Thanks figured it was the easier way to go. The last thing before I get the engine out...

post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:04 AM
Honda Rider

And don't do like I did and put it back on with the OUT stamped on it facing inward, it won't work lol. Make sure when ya put it back on you can read OUT or you'll never get it on. I felt like an idiot, but the more I do the more I learn! Knowledge is power 😁
bcsman likes this.
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So I did order the bottom core from PSN and should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. Gonna remove the front and rear cases from my engine and transfer everything over. The piston kit came in and over at the shop, they will double check the first jug and if not ok will bore the spare jug. Then put the new valve parts in the head amd put her all together.

Did get the engine removed yesterday little bit of a challenge. Had to figure out how to tip to slide out the left side. Thinking lining up the rear drive might be a task.
Majorpayne likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page