How much gear oil does my front diff take - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

How much gear oil does my front diff take

I have a 2000 Honda foreman 450 e's changing the gear oil and not sure how much the front diff takes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

fill till it comes out the fill hole!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshep25 View Post
I have a 2000 Honda foreman 450 e's changing the gear oil and not sure how much the front diff takes?

A quart is about enough to do the front and back twice. Make sure you get the wet clutch type as regular gear oil is not the proper lubricant to use. I get mine at the auto parts store in a gallon. Only about $9, beats the he** out of paying Honda $4 for a pint and I usually hit lots of water so I check it frequently.

2007 Foreman 500FM

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
A quart is about enough to do the front and back twice. Make sure you get the wet clutch type as regular gear oil is not the proper lubricant to use. I get mine at the auto parts store in a gallon. Only about $9, beats the he** out of paying Honda $4 for a pint and I usually hit lots of water so I check it frequently.
I could be wrong here but I think your WET CLUTCH approved oil is ONLY for the motor in honda atv's
NOT GEAR OIL!
have not ever noticed it saying wet clutch approved or not on any gear oil I have ever used!

been running basic amsoil gear oil in my honda now 20 yrs and going strong?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:12 PM
Honda Addict

Mrbb,

Yeah you're right, it's Hypoid gear oil. I knew there was something different. Thanks for catching that, nothing worse than giving out false information.

2007 Foreman 500FM
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Mrbb,

Yeah you're right, it's Hypoid gear oil. I knew there was something different. Thanks for catching that, nothing worse than giving out false information.
no problem we all make little opp's at times, trying to help ., it happens

most all gear oil I know of the main differences is weight, and well some work better in limited slip diffs than others, some require an additive to work in them
I know for yrs and yrs I used to add some limited slip to my atv's rear diff, even though I ran diff fluid that didn;t require it

way I kinda of felt , was adding it sure didn;'t hurt anything
and honestly, I think you can most likely put any type of oil you want in a HONDA diff and be fine LOL
only issue that I see might be thinner oils/fluids might get bast seals faster
as honestly, honda atv's don;t go that fast to make /generate enough heat from speed in a diff housing to damage anything, so as long as there isn;t water in there or dirt/crap, any oil will work just fine IMO
I would prefer correct gear oil, but I think its splitting hairs on these atv';s LOL
Chalkymon likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Honda Addict

"Honda atv's don't go fast enough to make/generate enough heat from speed in a diff housing". Lmao, true dat!
Yeah, I thought regular 80-90 weight gear oil would be fine too but since I didn't know enough about it, figured I'd use the real stuff.

That's some real handy information to have since it's so much easier to find.
I hesitate to comment sometimes because I'm no atv expert but you, Jeep, TD and all have helped me and others out here tremendously so just trying to give back a little. I know mine fairly well but not all the others. Thanks again.
Chalkymon likes this.

2007 Foreman 500FM
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Thing you're supposed to use limited slip additive in the front aren't you?

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Execs on Rubicon rims, Perfex
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Mudbugs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
Thing you're supposed to use limited slip additive in the front aren't you?
I think it honestly comes down to what gear oil your using, most GOOD premium syn one's have limited slip additives in them, so no need to add more
but again I think its splitting hairs here on using it or not, as most all atv's are used off road on soft enough ground that the binding issues, wouldn;'t really have any damage to things, due to well, tires should slip first before a gear gets damaged

NOW maybe on some huge big aggressive tires in super thick mud and a big Boy on it, or even some very hard pavement and super tight turning while towing a heavy object or like situation ??
maybe then you can get into issue's but I also think your going to have high risks on breaking other parts any how on the set up alone and most assume the risks for the set up's they want
in them cases I would add some just cause its easy and cheap
but doubt it would help much! LOL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
"Honda atv's don't go fast enough to make/generate enough heat from speed in a diff housing". Lmao, true dat!
Yeah, I thought regular 80-90 weight gear oil would be fine too but since I didn't know enough about it, figured I'd use the real stuff.

That's some real handy information to have since it's so much easier to find.
I hesitate to comment sometimes because I'm no atv expert but you, Jeep, TD and all have helped me and others out here tremendously so just trying to give back a little. I know mine fairly well but not all the others. Thanks again.
well I am FAR from any expert on atv's or fixing them, many others on this site WAY smarter and skilled than me!

I just happen to be about a bunch and spend time here reading and learning, and willing to share what I picked up!

so some times, info I give is just being past on thru me from things I read and or learned else where
a lot of times adding to a tread is, GUESSING too! , and just gives the op' and others a different view or things to consider, as some times when your so focused on it being one thing, you can forget or miss another simple thing that is actually more likely the issue

some times we all think the worse when its only something simple LOL
funny how the mind goes bad real fast on you when things break at times!

having others add thoughts or opinions, some times just gets more idea's out there, to help solve a problem
Wilbur likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page