Honda Foreman Forums banner

Fuel Gauge Condensation & Rattling

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rimneck 
#1 ·
Hello - I have a 98' Foreman 450s and it's going through a ton of baseline maintenance right now. I recently washed it and noticed that the glass window of the gas gauge had condensation on the inside of it afterwards. It dried up about 2 days later and is back to normal now. Also, the gauge needle rattles and moves around a lot when you bump the machine - running or not. Sounds like an old clock - tick, tick, tick. The float is just bobbing around inside the tank after it's jostled around a bit causing the needle to go back and forth, and results in an audible ticking sound until it settles down again. Can the condensation issue be fixed by removing the two bolts holding the gauge assembly to the tank and sealing it with silicone? Do I need a new gauge assembly? Should I just not worry about it?

Thanks for your insight!!

#2 ·
There should be a rubber gasket ring around the glass (plastic) window. It's under the flange that holds it down to the top of tank. As for the noise, they were that way from brand new. Some are worse than others. I remember my buddy bought a brand new 02' Rancher. That was the most annoying thing pulling up to stop and listen and all you could hear was that *!#@ gas gauge rattling. About the time it would stop, he'd take a breath and it would start all over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.