450 started then died, now wont start at all - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

450 started then died, now wont start at all

Hello, I'm new here and not the smartest person when it comes to ATV's and iv'e got a 2004 foreman 450 Es. I haven't touched my 450 in about a week and this morning started it up but a few seconds later it died. I tried again again and again and it wont start at all now. I suspect the spark plug since I don't think that it has ever been changed. If you guys have any suggestions let me know, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Bump...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

well, maybe you need to check a few other things
like you didn';t hit the kill switch did you?
HOW old is the fuel? is the air cleaner clogged up
have you confirmed you have good spark at the plug ?
if the battery good?
if fuel is fresh and good spark at plug, are you sure your getting fuel into carb and past it?
does plug smell like fuel after trying to start it several times?

IF not, might have a fuel flow problem, or a dirty carb
IF fuel is getting past things and flowing correctly
have you checked compression on motor<
how many likes/hours on it
has any motor work ever been done to it?

the more info you give us, the better we can help you, as were not there to see and know these things?
its about process of elimination, and ruling things out!
spark plug normally don';t just DIE, yes they can, but its not a common deal

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

+mrbb
half of the fuel probably is about a month old and the other half is a week old if i was to guess. i looked at my fuel line to the carb and it looks clean
i changed the spark plug today and still no start
battery is a month old
air filter is new
oil change and filter is a month old
The atv has been used alot honestly... 6000 miles on her...

Let me know what you think!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 PM
Honda Rider

I have the exact same quad and had the exact same problem. If have ever run methanol gas in your bike it could cause problems with the carb. On mine it caused the float to stick shut and would not allow any fuel into the float bowl. It also left a yellow looking gel in the bottom of the float bowl. Loosen the clamps on the carb and spin the carb so you can access the float bowl. Remove the 4 screws and take the float bowl off. Check to see if your float is moving up and down. Every year I have to clean the carb as I don't really ride my quad in the winter. Recenlty I actually had to replace the carb with was about $250.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Honda Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlarge428 View Post
I have the exact same quad and had the exact same problem. If have ever run methanol gas in your bike it could cause problems with the carb. On mine it caused the float to stick shut and would not allow any fuel into the float bowl. It also left a yellow looking gel in the bottom of the float bowl. Loosen the clamps on the carb and spin the carb so you can access the float bowl. Remove the 4 screws and take the float bowl off. Check to see if your float is moving up and down. Every year I have to clean the carb as I don't really ride my quad in the winter. Recenlty I actually had to replace the carb with was about $250.

You can find the carb on ebay for like $40. I have had to replace myn once and just bought the cheap chinese one on ebay and put a jetkit in it. All for under $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-TRX45...ty!32095!US!-1

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
I have had to replace myn once and just bought the cheap chinese one on ebay and put a jetkit in it.
Just be forewarned that the top sets (where the throttle cable enters carb) may not interchange with OEM. If you get one with the top and cable with it, the cable may be the incorrect length and you cannot use the original with the chinese version. Some, not all, just my experience.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

I would NOT use a NON OEM carb, far too many do NOT work and cause more issue's and then owners end up buying a OEM one, and didn;'t save a penny!

looking at fuel like, ?? did you look in the INSIDE to see if its flowing correctly or just the outside of the line for damage
as MY suggestion is that over time, ethanol and crap clog up the inside of the lines and prevent proper flow of fuel to things
as can the peacocks get all gummed up too
and its a VERY thin layer of Varnish like coating that clings and bonds to things that cause the issue's with carb parts, so JUST pulling a carb and spraying it with carb cleaner does NOTHING to this coating on parts!
a GOOD proper carb cleaning and fuel system cleaning
and at 6,000 miles of use, I would HIGHLY suggest a compression test, all the more so if this atv ever ingested water from a sinking or lots of water riding time!
and again, have you confirmed that you in deed have spark at the spark plug ??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Get a can of starter fluid and shoot a little up in the intake.

If it fires off, you have a fuel deliver problem (carb)

If it doesn't, you have a spark problem.

Report back and let us know what you find.

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
27" Execs on Rubicon rims, Perfex
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Mudbugs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Well guys I bought a cheap chinese carb and replaced the OEM with it and it runs like a dream! The chinese carb is just temporary till i have time to fully clean the OEM carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page