450 ES Speedometer Fix - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

450 ES Speedometer Fix

For those that have been pulling hair out-
It took me a month to figure this out, but I am glad to report that I have figured out how to repair my 2004 450ES Speedometer

If you have a 02-04 450 ES model ( 4 indicator lights on top of meter)
or a 99-00 450 ES model ( 3 indicator lights on top of meter)

and your display:

- does not show the gear indicator spot at all (not the gear or --) but the
backwards "L" that goes around the gear position - its just blank

-your miles and hours have reverted to zero and possibly now shows KM now instead of Miles

-your speed shown seems to have almost doubled (possibly KMs per hour even thought it shows Miles)

What has happened is your EEPROM chip on motherboard has lost the programming due to dead battery for
a LONG time or an electrical malfunction etc...

I have borrowed a friends speedometer (a trusting friend) removed the chip from his, copied the data and put it on mine and it reads perfect now.

I can repair your speedometer it will have 1851 miles and 317.2 hours on it as that is the only copy I have for the 02-04 Foreman 450ES
I can also do 99-2000 450ES speedometers (3 indicator lights on top of meter) but will have to double-check check on the mileage/hours copy I have and let you know to see if you want that
If you want to try it for yourself the program is called ponyprog you will have to have an old XP laptop and buy the cables on ebay -check it out online thats what I did.
Just be careful as you have to be knowledgeable with electronics and soldering with hot air etc...

I can also do TRX500FM and FE meters and the older Rancher 350ES meters as well but it has to have the above symptoms and not water damaged-caught on fire, cracked lcd, etc....

If you have one you want repaired just send to me (just the board with LCD) I can repair it for you for 25.00 or barter etc.....
Shipping would be 2-$3.00 First Class with tracking and I will pay return shipping
I will confirm and send pictures to you as well to show a working completed repair on your display
If there is heavy water corrosion, rust and rot damage etc.. its probably not repairable but I can try if you want -no fix-no pay
If you PM me or whatever we can work it out I am easy and like you all I am always fiddling/learning with wheelers
I think you will be happy and you will have more hair -mine is filling back in...................
The Macarena Man likes this.

Last edited by AKATV; 06-19-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Honda Rider

I have a 04 450es with this exact problem, I would like to get it repaired, get a hold of me please. Thank you.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Honda Rider

Hey everyone, after I posted a reply to Akatv he got a hold of me right away, asked me a few questions to make sure he was confident in my problem and that he could fix it. After that he sent me his address and I got it pulled off the machine (takes like 10 minutes, there like 8 little screws in the back of the meter and two little plugs) and sent his way. He is in Alaska so it takes a bit to ship there, from michigan it was about 5 days, be sure to ship usps and use a small priority pre paid box should be like $7 or else ups and FedEx will way over charge. Once Ron received my meter he let me know and got it fixed that night, he sent me a video of him testing it, and after verified the speed and let me know it was working. Ron got it mailed out to me the next day. Overall this went excellent, and I am happy to recommend his service to anyone. Thanks Ron.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Honda Lover

Nice feedback CC, good to hear you got if fixed and are also happy the way things went. You always hear the bad news but not often enough the good news.

2007 Foreman 500FM
2014 Foreman 500FM
Service Manuals Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...7LP-eZp2jMRVJU
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I wanted to help everyone by repairing these speedometers for others, as the issue is so common and a new one costs hundreds
It took me awhile to figure mine out and was glad to have found a solid repair
The has been talk on "Honda ATV Forum" about people possibly misrepresenting their wheelers now with a lower mileage speedometer etc...
My intention was to restore a speedometer for riders that was not showing gear position and improper speeds as well as reading in KM to MPH and save someone the headache of figuring it out AND a chunk of money
It happens that I only have one copy that is around 1800 miles and 317 hours that I use to reflash the bad EEPROM chip
When you program it, it repairs the gear position, KM to MPH, and copies over the mileage/hours, it cannot be done individually
It could not only lower your mileage, but could also increase it as well if you originally had lower hours and miles
But now on the Honda ATV Forum, someone has brought up that there is this guy that can "roll your speedometer back" and while probably not their intent, it does makes it sound crooked and is linked to this posting
My intention was never to give anyone lower miles but to restore their speedometer to proper working condition especially the ES models not showing gear position as well as proper speed. Around here nobody really cares what mileage is as long as it runs and operates properly
I am sorry to do this but I will have to decline repairs now as I am unsure of the legal aspect and do not want to cause any problems

Last edited by AKATV; 04-03-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
LOL. I saw that. I don't think anyone is going to go through the trouble of pulling a speedo, sending it to you, then getting it back, just for a rig to show lower miles.

It's an ATV. I've bought a partial bike that only had 1400 miles on it that was totally destroyed, and I've bought a complete running bike with 13K miles on it. The 13K components looked better than the 1400 mile components due to the way the machine was used.

As has been pointed out, it's very easy to buy a new meter that shows zero miles. If there was a legal ramification for misrepresentation that wouldn't be allowed.

One can also easily buy used meters with varying miles showing on ebay.

Much ado about nothing.

Was nice of you to offer to fix other people's rigs for so little money. I understand if you don't want to do it anymore, but I think the concerns brought up were way over the top.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Honda Rider

People always have to ruin everything. Way to go guys.
jeepwm69 and The Macarena Man like this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Wasn't here. Was on another board.

2005 Foreman Rubicon Camo
Perfex, 27" Mudbugs
Heated grips and Thumb , HID's
5K Viper Max winch

2009 Foreman 500FM Green
Perfex with HL springs
27" Execs on Rubicon rims
Heated Grips and Thumb, HID's
4K Viper Max winch

2006 Foreman 500FM Green
28" Mugbugs, stretched, Perfex, HLsprings
3K Superwinch winch

2009 475 Rancher AT Tan
26" Mudbugs on Rincon rims
Warn winch. Foreman pod light with HID, SRA gear reduction
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:05 AM
Honda Rider

I wanted to send him mine because the hours and miles are stuck on all 9's from battery being dead so long. I just wanted hours to work so I could see when to change oil. I could care less how many miles and hours show, the machine is 20 years old and has been brought back from the dead!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

450 Foreman Speedometer Repair

I can repair your speedometer as long as this is for your own personal use
PM me and we can get it taken care of
I know how frustrated I was trying to figure mine out and am glad to have
found a solution and can help others
jeepwm69 and The Macarena Man like this.

Last edited by AKATV; 05-23-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in