oil leak - Page 2 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I have the bearings and seals just haven't installed em yet. I was about to today but I jacked up the rear end and saw that both of my wheels had a little bit to much of a wobble. Both axle nuts where loose. Maybe that's why oil was leaking out of left hub. Ill find out some more and see what else is going on

1998 TRX 450s
30in Silverbacks
Home made snorkel
K&N air filter
EPI clutch spring
14% GR
Axle paddle
Custom oil cooler rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSam View Post
Both axle nuts where loose. Maybe that's why oil was leaking out of left hub.
Axle nuts can be tightened up, but could be an indicator of worn hubs or axle splines.

As for the oil leak, the ONLY reason you'll get oil out of the the left hub area is a failed inner seal at the differential. What usually happens is the LEFT wheel bearing / seal will fail. This lets water / dirt get into the axle tube further deteriorating the wheel bearing. Then your axle will drop down / back a little because the bearing no longer holds it true to the center of the tube. This damages the differential seal and lets your oil out into the tube, and out the wheel bearing seal and slings it all over in inside of your tire.

See diagram below. This is all a very easy fix and as I mentioned earlier, I'd go through the rear axle from hub to hub with new bearings and seals. 3 hours and we'd have this thing better than new (hopfully caught before needing the new axle).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seals.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	40351  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Honda Addict

Here's what you're looking at if it goes to far.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621_195228.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	40359  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Once I tightened the axle nuts back up It stopped leaking but the left bearing seal was worn out a bit. The axle splines looked good compadre to yhe top one on your picture. I put in new seals and bearing now so hopefully it stays running good next time I go ride. Thanks for the help

1998 TRX 450s
30in Silverbacks
Home made snorkel
K&N air filter
EPI clutch spring
14% GR
Axle paddle
Custom oil cooler rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page