Dieing and starving for fuel - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Dieing and starving for fuel

So,I got a bike on trade got it running. Question is I can't keep it running unless I run full choke. I just had the carb rebuilt. They told me that a lobe on the cam was bad or the rings are bad. But I can't wrap my head around that to the fact that itll run change gears and do everything it's supposed to. No smoke, nothing modified, new electrical (stator, cdi,ecu). I've ruled out air lock. Any other recommendations? I will be pulling carb tomorrow to check needle and float and jets. I'm just at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
first of all let us know what you have,year and model, hours and mileage helps,,,,did you empty the gas tank and make sure it has fresh gas and good flow, new plug, make sure exhaust is not plugged, check filters all the simple stuff first. i would do a compression test, it will tell you if cam or rings are bad, and yes check the carb.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2004 Honda foreman 450es 3000 miles fresh gas new plug and filters. Petcock is clean new fuel lines. I havent done a compression test.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
i am betting it is the float needle sticking, carb will need to be cleaned. I just went out to start my 2001 ruby today and it starts and runs for a few seconds and stalls, good gas flow,vfloat needle is sticking, time to pull the carb and clean it, after 17 years i bet there is lots of junk in my carb....time to get the lemon juice out....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

X2.. who cleaned the carb? If you dont know them or seen it done right (taken apart and soaked in cleaner) they might have took it off and blown air thru it.. sounds like carb problem to me too.

2006 Rubicon Canadian Trail Edition.
1 1/2 inch Quadrax lift
26" Mudlites
Motovan B series back seat
2500# warn
1000's of custom scratches
100's of dings n dents
50+ plastic stitches
and a few oil changes.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Replace carb seemed to fix the issue, it was the OEM carb. It is back firing at high rpms. Any fix for that. Seems to have alittle loss of power when first trying to get rolling. And I gotta take es gear motor of and re greases gears.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Honda Lover

Did you replace the oem carb with another oem carb ? If not Id re-rebuild the oem carb and go from there . Ive heard of things in the aftermarket carbs not being completely drilled out or the jets not sitting in right causing lots of weird issues

2017 Honda Foreman, foot shift, manual steering. No mods yet 😓

When in doubt thorottle out
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 AM
Honda Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluetruck86 View Post
Replace carb seemed to fix the issue, it was the OEM carb. It is back firing at high rpms. Any fix for that. Seems to have alittle loss of power when first trying to get rolling. And I gotta take es gear motor of and re greases gears.

My bike was doing that and I had to do a valve adjustment to get it to stop. Dont be scared to do it, with the service manual its a breeze.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page