2000 Foreman shock design Q? - Page 2 - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

First ride today, BIG difference. Very smooth and much softer. I would do this again in a heart beat, worked out well.

I think a key piece of the ride I ended up with is the 2015 Foreman shock that I installed. They are very soft for the first few inches, stiffen up progressively and have 6" of travel vs the original 4". Worked well for $29 bucks. Makes me curious about what a high quality shock would be like?

Glad the Prefex worked for you. If your bike rides as good as a 2016 straight axle Rancher.. yours rides good, mine did not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
Good Point, I never considered that my bike with the Perfex rode as good as the 2016 Rancher, but that the 2016 Rancher was no better than my Foreman! LoL

Did you get a smaller battery for your project or relocate it? Looks like the new shock is cut into the battery box.

For ATV projects and crew adventures you can check out my site www.shed-headz.com.

1998 Foreman 450s - not stock
1985 Honda 250sx - in progress
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

You are right, the shock locates directly where the battery "was". I relocated the battery into the little tool box directly behind the electrical area. I extended the battery cables about 2-1/2ft so the battery could be removed for connecting/disconnecting. I used marine battery cables (Anchor mfg) because they have individual tinned strands, high strand count which carries current well and is extremely flexible.

All of the wiring harness clears the shock when installed into it's OEM location, which was a mid-project concern LOL.

I have found that the setting on this shock make a significant difference. I have mine on the softest setting. The stiff setting removes much of the first 1-2" of sponginess, and is considerably stiffer overall.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

The 1" rear lift worked out, not really noticeable and it needed the extra space for the additional travel. On the soft setting, it goes down to the original height when I put my 240 lb self on it.

Last edited by Texis; 02-03-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Shock mod update;

Put 65 miles on the bike last weekend, over very rough Texas panhandle canyons and open range. Bottom line, could not be happier with the ride. Everything from rock crawling, to open country running at 15-20 mph, never had to leave the seat (or get bounced off of it). Smooth, comfortable ride sucking up every hole and rock it hit, without feeling it in the lower back or kidneys.

Learned that the Foreman is basically a Billy Goat in 1st gear crawling up steep, loose rocky terrain. The Polaris bikes needed rpms and tires spinning to make the same grades that the Foreman just walked up.

The bike never jarred me, or felt anything but soft without feeling loose. The extra couple of inches of travel are really nice. Had no issues with the swing arm, drive line etc. Only thing left to do concerning the ride quality is get rid of the 17 year old front shocks and swap in a urethane bushing in the lower, rear shock mount. The auto shop rubber bushing wasn't the best fit, had no inner steel sleeve and is settling a bit. Think I will swap out the ball joints and tie rods ends while I'm at it, front end needs a little help.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Honda Rider

Sweet upgrade! I almost had to check my garage to make sure my 450 was still there cause yours looks identical lol. Can you post a few more pics of the lower shock mount? Is there a part number on the shock?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I'll try to get a pic of the lower mount in the next few days. It welds into the area of the axle tube that is double plated with the bottom portion of the hitch, plenty of metal there. Check out a stock 2016-17 Foreman lower mounts, I copied that design. Takes the engineering questions away, as the new mono-shock is locating nearly exactly where the new ones are located.

The stock I used was a 2015 Foreman OEM shock. I set it to the softest setting. Pulled from a 2015 being parted out.. $29 bucks on Ebay. The 2016 new ones from Honda are around $65 I think.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:08 PM
Honda Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texis View Post
I'll try to get a pic of the lower mount in the next few days. It welds into the area of the axle tube that is double plated with the bottom portion of the hitch, plenty of metal there. Check out a stock 2016-17 Foreman lower mounts, I copied that design. Takes the engineering questions away, as the new mono-shock is locating nearly exactly where the new ones are located.

The stock I used was a 2015 Foreman OEM shock. I set it to the softest setting. Pulled from a 2015 being parted out.. $29 bucks on Ebay. The 2016 new ones from Honda are around $65 I think.

Texis,

If your still around I could really use a picture of how you did the bottom shock mount. Just looking at my brother in laws the lower shock mount has a bushing and the shock I purchase from an 16 did not come with the hardware or bushings. So I probably need to fabricate something just wanted to see how you did yours.

Sorry for the thread revival.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page