96 foreman 400 power loss and wierd noise - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

96 foreman 400 power loss and wierd noise

okay, I got a 96 foreman 400, bone stock minus the car tires I have on it. (HAHAHA)
I'll be driving along in 5th at about half throttle when all of a sudden it will lose power like it's bogging out, and I can hear a loud hissing coming from the exhaust. three times it's gotten so bad that even in second, wide open, it will barely move on a smooth road. then randomly it will regain power and run fine for a little while, then do it again.

I did a compression test and got 160 pounds right now, and re-lashed the valves at .005 intake, .006 exhaust, as the book says, and it still does it. any ideas? sticky exhaust valve maybe?

background info:
we got the bike about a year ago from my dad's buddy, where it sat for four years. before that it was owned by a mining company that used it in the bush. it had a broken shifter and was stuck in first when we got it, and when dad's buddy got it.
I thought being a mining company's bike, and stuck in first, maybe a miner revved the living **** out of it and bent a valve, but it ran great all winter.
dad sunk it last fall and it's been running on 0-40 oil instead of 20-50 ams. no problems with that but... not my choice, by the way.
premium gas all the way, with an in-line filter.
clean carb every month anyway

need help before I lose it!

oh, and I blew the front driveshaft a few days ago and need help on how to take it out, and I need to know if I can run it with no front driveshaft until I get a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

welcome to the forum !
have you checked the vent lines on the carb ...thay could be clogged .
also check the hose off the gas cap and make sure it still vents

2000 foreman 450 es-s
the f**king pig
SOLD

sold all my crappy Hondas .....lol
sold !2007 Suzuki kingquad 700 for fun
2018 Yamaha grizzly 700 se

friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
You can run the bike with no front shaft. Take the wheels off, unbolt the front diff from the frame, pull it as far forward as you can (you need to unbolt and remove the front mounting bracket) then push the coupler that joins the front shaft to the engine forward over the shaft until it clears the engine output shaft then slide the drive shaft out of the front diff and out of the bike. Bolt the diff back in place before you ride.

To fix this problem, you may only need to replace the coupler between the shaft and the engine, they rust and strip out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
While your experiencing the problem, immediately loosen the gas cap and see if the problem goes away. If it does the tank isnt venting meaning the hose or cap is plugged up or defective.

If you want to be a dick to your buddy, plug off his gas tank vent before the next ride. Lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Honda Rider

Question did you find the issue?

My Honda Foreman is having the same issue with the power loss and the hissing out the back end. I have rebuilt the carb, chem dipped the carb, checked the fuel line and the gas vent cap. Still having issue. Did you figure out what was making that happen with yours? I have also sprayed the intake with carb cleaner and it didn't make any difference. The float valve in the carb is not adjustable btw. Any ideas?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrancher View Post
My Honda Foreman is having the same issue with the power loss and the hissing out the back end. I have rebuilt the carb, chem dipped the carb, checked the fuel line and the gas vent cap. Still having issue. Did you figure out what was making that happen with yours? I have also sprayed the intake with carb cleaner and it didn't make any difference. The float valve in the carb is not adjustable btw. Any ideas?
the OP of this tread has NOT been back on the site since july of 2012, so I doubt your going to get any answers from him!
this is a 7 yr old topic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page