Honda Foreman Forums banner

I think I want a locking diff.

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mac102004 
#1 ·
I'm not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards a locking differential. Some of my riding buddies who ride other quads have them but they are always snapping axles (outlaws, gorillas) are some of the tires they run. I'm a big fan of mudzillas. Other then having to do a little more "english" while traversing a hole I've always been able to go through anything the "other" quads can. What are some thoughts

008.MOD | Photoshop.com

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
i'd say your gonna break more stuff with the more traction and the locking diff.

#4 ·
That's what I'm afraid of. I've pulled more brutes, grizzlies back through mud holes cause they snapped a front axle and couldn't make it back through themselves then I would want to count. At the end of the day it seems like the honda is always the one just being rinsed off and not "worked" on. Guess I'll just get use to being ragged on for having a 3x4

#5 ·
tap your front brakes if you need the front to kick in. it fools the diff to think that both wheels have good traction and then it will give power to the wheel that actually does have traction.

watch how i "milk" the front brake in this video

#6 ·
Wow, ss I never new of that trick. I learned something today.

#8 ·
That's pretty sick!!! I'll have to try that next time. I like the idea rich450es spool. It's cheap and reversible. I'm not too big of a throttle hog so I'm kind of optimistic that it would work out ok

#9 ·
Been there had that. The DGL was one of the best AND worst mods I did to my old Rincon. Unless you ride at least 85% mud don't waste your money. Mine as awful on the trails after I installed it. 2x4 was as hard as 4x4 before, and 4x4 was almost extremely hard. In the snow it was downright unsafe, anybody's guess where it was going to go. Plus I always had that feeling in the back of my head, you know the one, the "someday I'll have to pull the whole diff out, and rebuild it" kind.

Traction 5/5
Trail-ability 2/5
Reliability 3/5
Ease of Installation 2/5
Overall 3/5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.