Honda Foreman Forums banner

1983 atc 200 3-wheeler

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  toodeep 
#1 ·
Anyone have or had one of these? I was given mine for free. Guy swamped it out, had no air filter on it, and it just needed a good home. I got it to run but it poured out smoke. So I rebuilt the engine and now it runs great with no smoke pouring out the exhaust.

I rebuilt the carb and looks like the gas has been pretty hard on the alumn housing and I could use another one. I see these chineese ones you can buy for 20 or 30 bux. Has anyone bought one as a replacement?

Also under acceleration I am getting slippage from the clutch. I haven't pulled it apart but do these bikes use the 3 shoes with springs? Or do they use the plates and springs? or a combo of both?

I am just going to replace with new stuff if I see they are worn out. No sense of trying to get it to last a little longer.

One more thing, can you still get the front suspension in the forks that run down to the front tire? Its a fun quad, but man it really beats me up in the ribs on a bumpy trail ride.

Thanks for any input

See less See more
#2 ·
is it a 200s or 200x
i never bought one of the carbs off ebay for the atc but have for a 450s and it works good
around me in mass there are tons of parts on craigslist and that may be your only choice on parts , that or ebay

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
nope its not a 200x or 200s just an ATC 200.

Ill have to check them out sudesh - thanks for input.

there are several sites that you can still buy parts for the 3 wheelers. Found 2 good dealers i buy stuff from on ebay.

3 wheeler is fun but I know sooner or later i will get bucked off. So i may pull the engine out and use it in a power plant of a love seat I am constructing.

Here was my 1st project. Used a Chinese engine called loncin. 50cc with 4 speed.
45mph

So want to get this 200cc engine running smooth for my next project.

Id love to have an elec start honda rancher or my rubi engine as a power plant. But not taking apart my rubicon for any projects. Would have to find a used quad or someone selling a good running engine.

#6 ·
i thought about it but 1st big bump i hit.. well its gunna break apart. I did make a 2nd one and took to the atv park with me. Just with bigger tires and a little more weight, the engine had a hard time chuggin up the hills. So with that atc 200 engine block i rebuilt, should have plenty of torque for putting around most of the main trails.

#10 ·
hey i got an 83 honda 200 atc a few weeks ago. i have been restoreing it and im almost done. i have rebuilt the whole engine, brand new carb, new cdi, new air filter and lots of other new parts. i fired it up and it runs good at idle but when i try to ride it it has no power and will not rev up. i checked the plug and it was really black so i leaned it out but its still not wanting to rev. i checked the timeing advance mechanism and its working good. i have played with moving the pickup for the advance mechanism and only runs worse when i move it. i have been rebuilding quads, atcs and dirtbikes for a long time and this one just has me stumped. it seems like a fuel issue but i know its geting fuel by the black plug...any info would be great...thanks

#11 ·
Check the frame tube (intake air supply) to make sure some insects didn't build a home in there and blocking the air flow. Removing the lid from the air cleaner box will also tell you. If it runs good with the lid off there is a restriction somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.