Honda Foreman Forums banner

Amsoil - I am a believer

16K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  vermhot 
#1 ·
Hello Folks:

Thought I would give a report on some issues I had and how Amsoil fourtstoke 0w-40 resolved them. BTW I am not a Amsoil rep, nor dealer, or have any affiliation with this company. It's likely all synthetics would have resolved the problem and maybe even the Honda specifically designed oil.

I will start from the beginning, three weeks ago I purchased a new to me 2002 Honda Rancher 4x4 with 1000 miles. I decided to change my oil myself and went to the Honda dealership. The sold me Kendall GT1 Performance oil. As you can see in this thread. I even called them later to confirm it was the right oil. They said yes:
http://www.hondaforeman.com/index.php?showtopic=16042

Since that oil change the transmission has not been very good. When shifting from 1st to 2nd on cold starts I would have to press the UP button several times to get it to change. Annoying to say the least. To remedy this problem I started playing with the clutch adjustment, took apart angle sensor cleaned it and added dielectic grease. Nothing helped. The neighbors must be pissed from me adjusting then test driving the machine. After reading some threads on Honda Foreman especially this one:
http://www.hondaforeman.com/index.php?show...hing++synthetic

I decided I would drain my new Kendall oil from the dealer and buy Amsoil oil. Here in Canada I was able to find it at Part Source/Canadian Tire. They had it on sale for $9.99 so I bought three quarts. I changed the oil and immediately there was a difference in shifting. Still not convinced it was going to work in cold weather I waited until the next day before posting my results. This morning at 8:30am in London, Ontario with the temperature 0 degrees celcius I started up my Rancher gave it 1 min to warm and went for a ride (in the subdivision :)). No issues, the gear changed immediately and smoother then it had in the past. I am completely thrilled. Chances are that any synthetic would have fixed the problem, but I tried Amsoil and that's what I will be putting into my ATV from now on. Like I said I am believer in Amsoil which previously I thought was a gimick at best and a rip off at worst. I am posting this just in case any else runs into the same problem. I am more of a lurker then poster :)

Claude

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree, its excellent oil. It has excellent sub zero properties as I started it up at below -20C no problem. The high heat handling abilities are great as well.
Amsoil :10

#5 ·
Hello ATVJustin:

I am not sure about it, but mine had only 1100miles so even though it was 7 years old it did not have many miles on it. I sure hope there will not be any negative side effects of switching to synthetic. I know the way the transmission was behaving before the switch was unacceptable and I was willing to take the risk. If there are problems associated with the synthetic I will post them here.

Keeping my fingers crossed there are no problems :)

Thanks,

Claude

#6 ·
Hello AZgurney:

I totally know what you mean. It was big surprise to me too. But I was so new to ATVs I didn't even question it. I thought the Kendall was some sort of special oil. Turns out its normal motor oil. I even called them to make sure and they told me that every Honda ATV the has an oil change gets that oil. Guess I won't be taking it to them if there is ever anything seriously wrong with the ATV.

Claude

#7 ·
The difference between todays conventional and synthetic oil detergent (or cleaning effect) contents are very similar today when compared to years ago. The major difference between synthetic an conventional is more the low and high temperature characteristics (as well as the additive pack moly, zinc etc) which can prolong the synthetic oil change interval of use when compared to conventional.

If the engine received regular maintenance using good quality oil prior to the switch to synthetic, there should be no issues. If the engine was somewhat neglected and oil sludge had developed over seals allowing them to dry, the cleaning effect of a high quality synthetic could clean off those seals and some oil seeping could occur. Also if the engine is worn it will already be burning oil, in which synthetic oil use is a waste of money anyway.

Some are in the practice of using a heavy duty diesel oil in their ATVs as many HDEO do not have the friction modifiers that are found in passenger vehicles motor oils for increased fuel economy. Big rigs don't really care as much about economy, but more about longevity. Its these modifiers that ruin the clutches in our ATVs. I find the practice of using HDEO risky as we don't know what additives are in the oil and what it could do to the wet clutches in our machines over the short or long run. I looked at the Kendal specs, and its not an oil I would use in an wet clutch ATV. I would avoid that dealership as well even for the simple things. Oil knowledge is pretty basic from a dealership standpoint, if they don't know that (or they do and are trying to drum up business) they can't handle anything. :question:

Unless it specifically says for use in wet clutch transmissions, its not worth the risk. If you buy OEM or aftermarket JASO MA (wet clutch certified) rated oil, there is zero risk.

:my2cents

#8 ·
I've got a new-to-me 2000 Honda Rancher ES 4x4 with 950 miles on it. I'll be switching over to Amsoil 10w-40 Motorcycle oil, it clearly says that it is designed to deliver superior performance for the wet clutch. I'm also putting Amsoil gear oil into my differentials, I'll let you guys know how it goes! I'm happy so far after reading such great things about Amsoil.

I personally prefer Royal Purple, but due to the moly grease issues I went with Amsoil. Still running Royal Purple in my Lexus IS300. :)

#9 ·
Alright, I poured the Amsoil in today, here's the stuff:

SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF) $10.35/qt
AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oils have been reformulated with new high performance additive technology that provides even greater multi-functional benefits for the special requirements of motorcycle applications. These independent and exclusive new AMSOIL formulations provide second-to-none viscosity protection for hot-running American and foreign motorcycle engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. Performance specifications include:API SG, SL/CF, CG-4; JASO MA/MA2; ISO-L-EMA2; API GL-1

Reduces Friction, Heat and Wear
In high heat conditions, engine protection is not sacrificed with AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It has the best high temperature film strength (see High Temperature Viscosity Protection graph below) of all oils tested and contains a heavy treatment of anti-wear additives to reduce wear regardless of the operating conditions (see Wear Comparison graph at right). AMSOIL 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is thermally (heat) stable and contains maximum levels of oxidation inhibitor additives. It is extremely resistant to breakdown and engineered to prevent damaging sludge and carbon deposits for superior engine cleanliness.
And for the differentials:

Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 80W-90 (AGL) $9.20/qt
High quality replacement for applications specifying SAE 80W-90 conventional gear lube. Synthetic construction provides improved cold flow properties, high viscosity index and heat resistance. Contains an over treat of high quality additives, exceeding the minimum standards. Provides excellent wear protection and long equipment life.

AMSOIL 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube is a multi-functional product designed to surpass the requirements of equipment and automotive applications calling for an SAE 80W-90 viscosity grade. Formulated with wax-free synthetic base oils and high quality additives, AMSOIL 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube resists thermal breakdown. Its naturally high viscosity index and shear stable construction improves film strength and viscosity retention. AMSOIL Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube prevents wear, resists heat, and protects gears. It lasts longer in service than conventional gear oils and increases equipment life.
My Rancher is a bit old and sat in storage for a few years before I purchased it , I don't think the oil had been changed much by the previous owner. The old oil was really nasty - It was a grey-sandy color and looked a bit watered down. I noticed immediately after changing the oil that my Rancher now has more power and better throttle response, also it shifts much smoother.

As posted in a previous thread, I have been concerned about my ESP being really loud. My electronic shifting previously produced a high-pitched "clink!" sound when shifting, but now it is a nice smooth "click" with the Amsoil synthetic oil. So far, so good!!

#10 ·
BigK75
I had the same problem with an 07 Rancher ES not shifting till it was completly warmed up, would have to press the up button severl times before it would shift.
changed to amsoil 10W30, still had the same problem, then went to amsoil 0W40
and BINGO bike shifts everytime, at least it has the last two times that I've tried it since the oil change, hopfully this solves the problem, clutch adjustment won't as
I've played with adjusting the clutch a 100 times.

#11 ·
Hey rollingthounder let us know how it works after a few miles !!!! Nice to see a nother cheese head on here !!!!

#12 ·
#14 ·
Lmao, Im speechless lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.