Honda Foreman Forums banner

differential fluid transmission fluid

33K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  trail_shredder_crf 
G
#1 ·
I bought a 2001 Foreman 450es. I am new to the ATV game and I need some info about the fluids. I changed the engine oil and filter. I used Honda oil and a Honda filter. I want to change the fluid in the transmission and differentials. What fluid should I use and is this a job that should be left to the techs at the Honda shop?

#2 ·
There isn't a separate transmission,the engine crankcase and transmission are all one,so when you changed the engine oil you also changed the transmission oil.For the differentials I use synthetic 75W-140 gear oil...1 quart will do both diffs.

#3 ·
I agree with Yooperforeman. Plus, if you are new to ATV's, check your oil regurlarly. Just this past weekend, I talked to 2 of my buddies that killed their bikes. One had an oil leak and didn't know it was low and burned it up, the other one had water in his oil and messed it all up, this was from his previous ride because he was just on trails this weekend. Just be sure to check it regularly.

#4 ·
you shouldnt have to take it to the shop 2 have it done its a very simple job take maybe 10 min for front and back differentials

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.