01 rubicon clutch or trans problem - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 01 rubicon clutch or trans problem

I need help guys. First off I would like to say that I have been "lurking" around here for a while and have been dreading this day but it sounds like it was going to happen sooner or later. I have a 01 rubicon that has been good to me up till this last weekend. I started to notice a little excessive whining noise from the left side of the engine that started to turn into more of a chirping/scraping noise, almost sounded like a chipmunk chirping or scraping a nail on a chalkboard. This noise was intermittent at first, then was more noticeable when the engine was under a load, when riding through wet sand and using over half throttle. I was trying to be easy on it and limp back to the cabin but ended up having to be towed. It finally got so bad that the noise was very loud an present almost all the time, then it ended up binding and grinding. There is no noise present when rolling in neutral. Oil is full and doesn't seem to have alot of metal present but I have not drained it yet. One other thing that seemed strange when I ran it up on the trailer and put it in neutral the engine would not rev up, it seemed like something is binding. It will still move and drive but there is alot of noise on the left side of the engine. Any ideas? Hondamatic? clutch? Any easy stuff to check without tearing it all apart. Thanks.
jeff d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

welcome to the forum !!!
well ........it sounds like the hondamatic on its last leg ...sorry man
if you do a serch in the rubicon 500 forum and you will find alot of rubis with the same exact problems
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

id say hondamatic is shot boss...

sound like this?...

Built , not bought

Who has a 450 final drive gear they want to sell? need it for a Gear Reduction on my Rubicon?... Get at me if you do...
Tea Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I agree, sounds like the transmission has went on you. I've been there done that. You just have to figure out if it's worth fixing or not.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Addict

If he decided to buy a fresh Hondamatic would be able to install a 2012 model or would he have to get the 2001 version?
2" receiver
Agra Trailer
Rear basket
WaldensRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

They are all the updated ones, same for all the years now.

07 475 Rancher ----- 95 300 Fourtrax -----88 300 Fourtrax
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thanks for the reply's guys. I was afraid this would happen sooner or later and the most likely cause seems to be the hondamatic. I am going to take it to the dealer this week and have them take a quick listen also to verify. My next question is it worth fixing?? Everything else is in pretty good shape and I just stuck a bunch of money into new plastic that was broke and a HMF pipe this spring. It only has 3300 miles on it and a new one really isn't in the budget at the moment. Anyone have an idea about how much to fix? I thought I remember talk about replaceing the oil pump too at the same time with a updated part. Sound right? I do have a service manual and it looks like a pretty involved job to replace. I am an automotive technican and am pretty mechanicaly inclined, but is this a job that can be done at home or are there a bunch of special tools needed to get it done. Any info that you can provide is appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

well in the link below it says that the new hondamatic is $1100 .....its #1
Dirt Cheap Honda & Arctic Cat OEM Parts & Accessories Cycle Parts Outlet

a new oil pump is $156 and is #1 also
the chain is $12 and is #13
Dirt Cheap Honda & Arctic Cat OEM Parts & Accessories Cycle Parts Outlet

as for tools theres a couple of pullers but theres ways to get around them
i say about $1500 for parts and if you can rebuild a rear differential in a newer pickup truck ...you can do it youreself
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

when my hondamatic went i just said screw it and did everything. from the tranny to every seal, piston rings valves chains tensioners and beyond. i justified $2000 by saying its cheaper than $7500 for a new one.

if you do do it you willl need the dealer to pull off your clutch w the puller
.20 ovr w/ Numara 92.46
carb mod
Warn 424
perfex long travel kit
26in BearClaws
Warn U2500 w Syn Rope
K&N Air Covered by OuterWare
Wes Industries Rear Seat
j00fek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Thanks for the links rich. Just wanted to give a quick update, I took it to the dealer on thursday and they seem to think it is the hondamatic also, but said I wouldn't know untill I opened it up. Well I must have totally killed something when I got it home and tried to back it off the trailer. It rattled and ground real bad, then something locked up. Now the engine won't rev up even in neutral and when shifting into drive or reverse the gear position in the cluster display starts flashing with dashed lines. Still think it is the hondamatic?? Anyway, after looking at some new machines and the price tags that go with them I decided to fix what I have. Can't justify spending $7000-9000 for something else and the dealer basically told me my wheeler isn't worth much for trade. They also gave me a very good price on parts, new hondamatic for $1175 with my discount and about $1600 total in parts. So I pulled the motor last night and am going to open it up this afternoon. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement