Do I need transmission or just oil pump? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Do I need transmission or just oil pump?

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum as I just bought (last week) a used 2001 Honda Foreman Rubicon. The bike, I thought, is in mint condition. When test driving at his place the bike ran perfect with no signs of anything wrong with it at all.

I took it up to my camp and ran it all day with no problem what so ever until the very end of the day when descending a steep rock hill. I allowed the bike to do its engine breaking down the hill which resulted in the famous and well known ratting sound/clacking sound which sounds like it is coming from the front end. At the bottom of the hill the bike stalled and when turned back on the D1,D2, and ESP were all flashing. It would not shift out of first and I drove it a bit just hopeing to get back to my truck as I was in a spot that I could not drive my truck to. When I smelt some burning I stopped and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Turned it back on and everything worked although it was very hot.

I went out one more weekend after changing the oil (Iused the manual and put exact amount in), the coolant, and doing some other minor maintenance like air filter and what not. Again bike ran great until the rock hill. I held the rear brake the whole way down the hill which completely eliminated the ratcheting sound. I let off the rear brake for a moment to see if it would do it again and it did so I got back on the rear brake. This time no stalling, no problems but it is because I was on the rear brake.

I have read multiple forums on here about the rubicons notorious oil pump losing pressure and messing up the tranny which is what I am worried about. It is heading to Honda tomorrow so I can get some advice from them but I am looking for some advice from people who don't want my money lol. I am mechanically inclined and able to perform almost all repairs. My question is, if my oil pump is dead does that automatically mean I need a new tranny as well? The bike runs great other than the downhill (and I mean down hill, it is very steep, normal hills do not do it) Or do I just need an oil pump? Or could it be something completely different? If oil pressure test turns out normal, where should I look next?

I know this is a long question but I don't just want the standard answer, replace your tranny because I am sure that is what Honda will tell me. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Don
donnyboy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

welcome to the forum !!!
i would get the oil pump preasure test done first (eather you do it or the stealership)
and if oil preasure is low then it could be eather the pump is bad or the oil pump chain is streched and is skipping on the gear (creating lower oil preasure) when stressed (like going down the hill )
also what year is it ? i can send you a manual if you need one ......rich
Hondaforeman.com stickers for sale .....pm me for details !
friend me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/richard.chayer.5
i love (.)(.)s
rich450es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

your bike wouldn't even move if the oil pump wasn't functioning. do you have a hot battery? low voltage creates all sorts of issues on the rubicons.
27" outlaws
epi/hl outlaw clutch kit
hmf utility, uni filter, dynojet kit
3000lb superwinch
triangle snorkel kit
herculiner on racks/front bumper
custom front recovery point
gerber gator machete mod
big nuts on the seat
lop3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich450es View Post
welcome to the forum !!!
i would get the oil pump preasure test done first (eather you do it or the stealership)
and if oil preasure is low then it could be eather the pump is bad or the oil pump chain is streched and is skipping on the gear (creating lower oil preasure) when stressed (like going down the hill )
also what year is it ? i can send you a manual if you need one ......rich
it's an 01, buddy...only reason i know is because he told us at the beginning of the thread! he he!!!
27" outlaws
epi/hl outlaw clutch kit
hmf utility, uni filter, dynojet kit
3000lb superwinch
triangle snorkel kit
herculiner on racks/front bumper
custom front recovery point
gerber gator machete mod
big nuts on the seat
lop3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys. Yes the stealership (I like that) is doing oil pressure test as the proper parts for doing it myself are more expensive than them just doing it. I may buy them as I plan on keeping the bike for awhile and will no doubt need them in the future. It is a 2001 Honda Foreman Rubicon with 9K KM on it. Will check the battery although I can't connect the problem with a battery issue but will check anyway. I already have the manual but thanks for the offer. Whats your thoughts on the transmission? This is what I am seriously worried about because they are expensive. I would take the engine apart myself so a new oil pump would not bother me as it is only about $200.00. It really is just time. If the bike runs great would this lead you to believe the tranny is in good shape or does the fact that it did do the ratcheting sound imply there is tranny damage? Thanks again
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

IMO see what the oil pump test tells you first then go from there
also charge the battery
and what oil did you use when you did the oil change ???
friend me on facebook
i love (.)(.)s
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
IMO see what the oil pump test tells you first then go from there
also charge the battery
and what oil did you use when you did the oil change ???
I used 10w40 regular oil (not synthetic, not that its bad I just used regular). Put in 4.9litres with a filter change. Do you think a different weight would be better? Will let you know the results of the oil pressure test when I have them.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

if you used regular car motor oil THAT MAY BE YOURE PROBLEM !!!!! it has to be a wet clutch approved oil !!!!! a raiting of atleast JASO-MA or higher
honda oil GN4 or valvoline atv oil or so on
friend me on facebook
i love (.)(.)s
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
if you used regular car motor oil THAT MAY BE YOURE PROBLEM !!!!! it has to be a wet clutch approved oil !!!!! a raiting of atleast JASO-MA or higher
honda oil GN4 or valvoline atv oil or so on
Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. I used 10w40 regular (not synthetic) ATV oil approved for wet clutch. Oil is specifically for ATVs. Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy32 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. I used 10w40 regular (not synthetic) ATV oil approved for wet clutch. Oil is specifically for ATVs. Thanks
start with the oil pressure test first, that will decide where we go from here. i get mine done at the dealership....they do it everyday so i dont have to wonder if my homemade reading is accurate.

As far as a rattling / clicking noise when engine braking, i can't say ive ever heard that noise before. have you tried re-initializing the control motor for the tranny? if she stalled coming down the hill , shut it off for a min and ur screen should have reset. the hondamatic doesn't like to roll while the bike is moving still in a range (D,L, or R).

Also, what smelled like it was burning? metal hot ?, oil hot?, I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with ur one-way bearing....

Built , not bought

Who has a 450 final drive gear they want to sell? need it for a Gear Reduction on my Rubicon?... Get at me if you do...
Tea Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement