2004 honda rubicon - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default 2004 honda rubicon

hi im new to the forums but not new to atvs, i just bought a 04 rubicon with a 2 inch lift it looks and 26x12x12 outlaws front and back it has a snorkel to. my questions are 1. how many quarts of oil should i put in it? 2 where else do i need to change oil, like where is the transmission to change oil and to put oil for the engine. and theres was a lot of oil in the air box and wonders why? and im hereing this grinding noise and i think its coming from the front axle cause the transmission shifts fine. and im hearing a cliking noise from the back when my uncle rode it. i had a banshee before and it was easy to fix this thing im having such a hard time finding out what it can be, thanks for the help -chris
speedman8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome Chris. The Rubicon will hold around 5.5 qts of oil but some can take the full 6 qts. The motor/transmission share the same oil and you'll have 2 drain plugs (front oil tank and the motor) plus the oil filter (skid plate has to be removed). To refill it will only hold about 4 qts and then you have to run the machine and then finish filling it.

The oil in the air box could be from being overfilled with engine oil and getting forced out the crankcase breather tube. There is a procedure to check the oil, start the machine and let it idle 3-5 minutes, shut it off and let it sit a couple minutes and then check the oil. If the previous owner was not doing that it will show low when checking it cold since it will drain back into the motor.

The rear clicking sound could be the left rear wheel bearing. The front check the bearings and cv boots.
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Rider

toodeep its me speedman i had to make a new account i drained the oil but didnt take off both plugs only one and the bike had about 9 quarts in it!? i know thats a lot i guess the previous owner didnt know what he was doing, theres a noise coming from where the front axle goes into the engine, im guessing not enough oil in there? i put 5 quarts back in it. and now its overheating when im in the trail but getting to the trail it doesnt overheat, and the bike bogs out after 25 mph im guessing the carb needs cleaning, sorry i sound really lost about the bike but my banshee was sooo easier to fix lol thanks toodeep
04rubicon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

to the forum......The bogging could be a few things. Simple tune-up? Perhaps carb needs cleaning. Grinding in the front axle could be low fluid or bad bearings or cv boot, like Toodeep suggested. Check the coolant level in the radiator and the overflow tank. Add if needed.
Also 9 qrts of oil sure will keep things lubricated. Little too much oil....
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

the front axle where it goes into the transmission thats where it sound like the noise is coming from, and right now i have about 5.2 quarts in it and ive checked the radiator and the overflow both have to the top, and still overheating. i dont know what else to check, i do HAVE to clean the carb cause it bogs when i start going slow and then when im going 25 it starts bogging again.
04rubicon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

There are bearings just inside the front diff. Those could be worn due to the lift you have on OEM axles. Either way, thats a good starting point. Check out cheapcycleparts.com.... Type in the info on your bike and this site will show schematics of the front diff.
Is the cooling fan turning on and off?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Lover

I know a lot of people use bikebandit.com and all that stuff.... I've only used powersedge.com to buy the parts im not trying to give them some free ad but i liked their prices and customer service... as for the noises, could be a torn CV boot with some dirt in there I broke two knuckles that way so i'd look there first... as for the boggin not too sure, from what your saying it does it at idle and mid range??? possible water sittin in the bowl if the bike werent used for a while, drain it and see what comes out catch it in a small cup and smell it
HL 2" Lift
Rode hard and put up wet...

05 400AT spawn child of satan - Sold That SOB

Got another **** 04 400AT couldnt beat the price 300 bucks!
Shutitdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Lover

Honda parts, yamaha parts, kawasaki parts, ski doo parts, sea doo parts sorry thats where i get my oem parts from
HL 2" Lift
Rode hard and put up wet...

05 400AT spawn child of satan - Sold That SOB

Got another **** 04 400AT couldnt beat the price 300 bucks!
Shutitdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Get the oil pressure tested, when the transmission goes out or oil pump the hydrostatic transmission won't have enough pressure to operate and will give a grinding sound. If they are low on oil it will do that also. The transmission is on the left/front side of the motor, just where your describing the noise.
toodeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

9 quarts..lmfao..thats funny
04hondarub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement