Oil over full? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Default Oil over full?

For several years I've had a clacking sound come from my transmission. This past weekend it got significantly worse. It was getting really loud and I could feel it in the machine. I figured that the transmission was finally dying. Then I saw a 12" oil spot on some concrete. I looked under the atv and noted that oil was leaking from the back of the engine on the left side. I pulled the dip stick and couldn't get a reading. I tried again and noticed that it was over full. As in, it was actually coming out of the dip stick hole. The oil is super thin and readily drips off the dipstick. It has a faint gasoline odor. I did notice that my fuel consumption was way, way up, but we were doing a lot of winch work so I didn't think too much of it. The atv runs great and isn't rich. The question is; how can so much fuel get into the oil?
cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

I wonder if there is a pcv valve on the crank case like on a car thats stuck open, just a thought.
2" Perfex long travel lift kit
High Lifter springs
26-11-12 Sedona Ripsaws on rear
26-9-12 Sedona Ripsaws on front
Douglas Rattlesnake rims
3rd Headlight switch
Moose Heated Handgrips and thumb warmer
Replaced the stock silver engine covers and front skid plate with 07 camo black and painted front brush guard black

2005 Rancher 350ES 2wd
Kipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

The float could have stuck and if the overflow/drain line is plugged gas will run into the airbox or the motor. Another possibility is hauling the machine with the fuel petcock left on. I would change the oil and see what happens.
toodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Addict

I just dropped it off at the dealer and they were thinking the same thing that it was fuel getting in from not shutting off the fuel petcock when trailering the machine.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Well, we located the oil leak. The transmission case is cracked. The crack is about 2" long, is horizontal to the ground and passes through the flange for the rear drive shaft. I'm not sure what's in this area, if it's a gear or a bearing.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cord View Post
Well, we located the oil leak. The transmission case is cracked. The crack is about 2" long, is horizontal to the ground and passes through the flange for the rear drive shaft. I'm not sure what's in this area, if it's a gear or a bearing.
That doesn't explain the oil being overly full. Excessively thinned oil likely caused a bearing to overheat and in turn caused the crack.

I'm changing the oil in my Rancher 400AT tomorrow. The float was stuck open and the airbox filled with gas. My daughter's boyfriend tried to start it like that and I believe this caused the carb to suck gas right into the engine. I had worked on the carb yesterday and after making sure there was no gas being pushed past the float valve reassembled the plastic today. My youngest daughter was riding it today, the clutch slipped when it got warm from the thinned oil. She immediately parked it and reported to me what it did. The oil was VERY thin and smelled of gasoline.
Keith_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cord View Post

Went to change the oil in my 400 AT yesterday and found it had been leaking oily gas in that same area. I'm hoping that the oil had thinned so much by the gas that it has just leaked out around a seal. I drained the oil, but did not refill it. I discovered a previous owner had stripped the threads on the oil drain plug, which may have also been a source of the leak. I also yanked off the carb and disassembled it and I am going to take it to my BIL's and dip it into his can of solvent to clean it all out really well before reassembling. The cylinder the little pump with the rubber boot slides into was full of mud and crud. I found it had eaten away at the little round piece that looks like a brass washer on the end of the pump.

Is this piece included in rebuild kits? The only way I have seen it listed on Honda sites is by purchasing the assembly, which runs nearly $75 online by the time you add shipping.

If anyone has a parts carb and wants to sell the valve out of an old carb the Honda part# for the assembly is 16048-HN7-003.
Keith_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Addict

I've had a lot of gravity-fuel-fed engines where the fuel would seep past the float needle, go through the carb and fill the crankcase if I didn't shut the fuel off even while just sitting in the shop. And, I was pretty good about shutting the fuel off. But on rare occasions, if I forgot to turn it off and I was lucky, it hydro-locked the piston and I knew about it the second I went to fire it off or I checked the oil level and saw it was high. The one unlucky time was when I trashed a $4000 Honda F4 racing engine (it ruined the bearings, cam and crank) because the oil was so diluted with fuel it didn't get enough lubrication. I haven't forgotten to shut the fuel off since.
2007 Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4 - 14" ITP SS112 wheels, 26" Bighorns, Xtreme 3" lift, RT2500 Winch, Twin Air filter, RAM GPS mount, Lowrance GPS, Plano ATV storage box, 2 - Playmate coolers and a RAM self-leveling beer holder
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 Max - 26" Bighorns, 200 watt audio tube by Sooner, BRP rear storage box
2007 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 ES (red), 14" ITP SS112 wheels, 26" Bighorns (Sold)
2007 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 ES (yellow), 14" ITP SS112 wheels, 26" Bighorns (Sold)
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Well, the cracked case was caused by a gear shedding two of it's teeth. We're guessing that the loose tooth got pinched between the two gears and then forced the shaft over thus cracking the case. The rear cover can't be serviced with the engine in the machine, so it's getting pulled...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement