front axle - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I have taken out axles many times on my 450, and never had much of a problem. On my 500 rubi the inboard joint is stuck. Ive tried and tried to pull that sucker out. I pried on it and everything it just wont let go. Anyone ever have this problem? any suggestions?
01 450es, snorkle, dynojet, K&N filter,warn424, 2" lift, HL springs, 28" Mudzillas on itp ss wheels, 14% gear reduction, HL clutch kit, disck brake kit, Supertrapp mudslinger(with snorkle), DGL, 2000lb Gorilla winch(synthetic cable)

01 rubicon (work in progress)
timchis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikail

QUOTE (timchis26 @ Jun 20 2009, 06:58 PM)
Quote:
I have taken out axles many times on my 450, and never had much of a problem. On my 500 rubi the inboard joint is stuck. Ive tried and tried to pull that sucker out. I pried on it and everything it just wont let go. Anyone ever have this problem? any suggestions?

I actaully just pulled mine apart this weekend. Suprisingly mine just pulled right out pretty easily. It should just pop out with a pretty good quick tug. Its possible the splines are twisted. Either way.. it should come out.
28 inch tires
2' spacers
Mikail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Addict

JUST PULL IT IT SHOULD JUST COME RIGHT OUT DONE MINE SEVERAL OF TIMES
CUSTOM STEREO
HANDMADE ALUMINUM SKID PLATE
CV-JOINT PROTECTORS
UPGRADED 1ST GEAR
REDRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (timchis26 @ Jun 20 2009, 01:58 PM)
Quote:

i took my front axle out of my 06 rubicon this past weekend... there is a ring that holds the axle in the housing by the differental...it took me a while to find it b/c of all the grease that is in there...i used a small screw driver to pop the keeper ring out and then the axle will slide right out

hope this is helpful
blackout06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Rider

There is a snap ring holding the axle into the housing, that prevents it from backing out.. however if you just tug on the axle.. it should pop right out.. however.. if the splines are twisted.. might be the problem?
28 inch tires
2' spacers
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (Mikail @ Jul 9 2009, 09:20 PM)
Quote:
There is a snap ring holding the axle into the housing, that prevents it from backing out.. however if you just tug on the axle.. it should pop right out.. however.. if the splines are twisted.. might be the problem?

The snap ring has to be removed in order for the axle to come out...if the axle could pop out with the snap ring in place, this would defeat the purpose of the snap ring...i have never been able to pop an axle out of that housing before...
but in light of the splines, you would have to have some serious HP to twist some splines, i am not saying that it isnt possible, but i have seen splines strip out before...9 times out of 10 your going to break an axle before the splines are damaged...

hope this information helps
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (blackout06 @ Jul 13 2009, 04:09 PM)
Quote:
The snap ring has to be removed in order for the axle to come out...if the axle could pop out with the snap ring in place, this would defeat the purpose of the snap ring...i have never been able to pop an axle out of that housing before...
but in light of the splines, you would have to have some serious HP to twist some splines, i am not saying that it isnt possible, but i have seen splines strip out before...9 times out of 10 your going to break an axle before the splines are damaged...

hope this information helps

Under normal circumstances, if you quickly tug on the axle, it will pop out. The snap ring on the axle shaft itself does not have to be removed in "most cases." When you pull out the axle, it should still remain on the shaft. However there is another snap ring when you actually disassemble the axle, and that snap ring you must remove to take apart the bearing.
28 inch tires
2' spacers
Old 07-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Rider

QUOTE (Mikail @ Jul 14 2009, 07:25 AM)
Quote:
Under normal circumstances, if you quickly tug on the axle, it will pop out. The snap ring on the axle shaft itself does not have to be removed in "most cases." When you pull out the axle, it should still remain on the shaft. However there is another snap ring when you actually disassemble the axle, and that snap ring you must remove to take apart the bearing.

this is true, and i am starting to get the idea that we are talking about different snap rings. if i read your previous message correctly, you are talking about the snap ring on the axle. the snap ring i am talking about is not on the axle. this ring i am talking about is more of a keeper ring that is set inside a small groove on the outer part of the housing (this housing i am referring to is the one that connects your axle to your differential). so to remove the axle you would pull the boot back, push the axle into the housing, remove the "keeper" ring from the groove in the outer end of the housing, and then pull the axle out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement