Transmission Problems? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
View Poll Results: Transmission problems with your Honda Rubicon?
Yes, I have (I'll explain below) 7 16.28%
Nope, not a problem 36 83.72%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Rider

Default Transmission Problems?

How many of you have experienced transmission problems with your Rubicon? If you've experienced problems, what exactly happened and what was the resolution? In reading some of the posts, it sounds like a common problem among these machines. The problem begins with an abnormal sound / tick and then kaboom..."transmission had to be replaced". Please do not answer poll unless you have personally experienced a problem. "My friends Rubicon" or "I've heard" responses are not wanted. Please respond with first hand information only. I"m hoping that transmission problems with the Honda Rubicon are a rarity, not a common occurence as some of the forum posts seem to indicate. Thanks,
Custom Snorkel
Balls Deep Audio Tube
DallasCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I'll be the first to respond. I've now put 40 hours / 170 miles on my machine and have dropped it off at my delership for the first service. So far, not a single problem with the Rubicon. I have noticed that the bike is sometimes difficult to put into gear when you're not on level ground but that's about it, a blip of the throttle fixes that. Overall, I've experienced no issues with my bike to date.
Custom Snorkel
Balls Deep Audio Tube
Old 02-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Quit tormenting yourself. Do you want to trade, I have an 06 500ES (which I absolutely love, they're bulletproof). I had a 2005 Ruby and put it through everything I could find, no problems whatsoever. I know how you feel, that's why I bought the Foreman. Rubicon never let me down but if it did I knew it would be an expensive fix. Let me know if you want to trade.....................
Old 02-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Honda Rider

No, I'm not interested in trading my Rubicon for your Foreman. I'm honestly happy with my machine. I was just looking to seperate fact from fiction in regard to the transmission horror stories I've seen on this site and others.
Custom Snorkel
Balls Deep Audio Tube
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

2006 will have up-dated transmission & oil pump .. You shouldn't have any trouble with it ..
Honda Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

Send a message via AIM to MAD MUDDER Send a message via Yahoo to MAD MUDDER

i have had problems with my tranny and i will try to explain it the bast i can. i had a 03 rubicon with about 4500 miles when the tranny went out. i was just out riding and it just quit on me. i took it to the dealer and told them to fix it because i wasnt messing with it ( i was about ready to sell it then) they told me that the AMERICAN MADE oil pump went bad and wasnt pumping the tranny any oil and thats why it went bad. to fix it i told them to put the 2006 oil pump and tranny in it because the new oil pumps and trannys were better. BTW the 2006 oil pump is a JAPANESE oil pump and is better than the AMERICAN pump, pretty sad huh. anyway they spapped the new 06 tranny and oil pump in and everything was good after that besides the angle sencer but thats a whole different story. IMO honda auto trannys are junk, they are worthless unless you run them in ESP. i takes so long for the oil to pump up so you can shift and usually by the time it does shift its too late and has to shift down again. if i was ever looking for another honda i would 100% go with the foreman 500, they only have 475cc's but as long as it dont have hondas auto tranny it will be alot better bike.
i hope this answers some of you questions.
-Aaron
03 400ex- renthal handlebars,Oury grips, LSR brake block, LSR bearing carrier, DG full skids, DG bumper, DG grab bar, white brothers exhaust, dynojet kit, K&N filter, SKIN graphics, SKIN gripper seat 15/45 sprockets, razr2 tires

06 brute force 650i---FOR SALE--- PM me if interested

CRACKIN' FRAMES & TALKIN' NAMES
MAD MUDDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Rider

I wasn't aware that the 2006 model had an updated pump. Good information, thanks!
Custom Snorkel
Balls Deep Audio Tube
Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Honda Addict

Send a message via MSN to Rubicon_Joey

The oil pump chain came off my 04 Rubicon. Warranty covered it, so it was taken to Honda of Princeton Ky. They replaced the crank, piston, rods, rings and a bunch of things I didn't think was necessary other than the pump chain. All in all it was about 1,700 worth of parts and weather or not they were necessary I will probably never know.
04 Red Honda Rubicon.....28X10 & 28X12 Maxxis Zilla's....Mud Buster Cam...2'' lift......EPI Clutch Kit...MSA Tork Wheels...HMF Utility series...Dyno Jet Kit...K&N Air Filter...Warn: 3.0 ci, bumper and 424 select...Detriot Gearless Locker...H/L Disc Brakes
Rubicon_Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Honda Red Wing Rider

They're a great machine, have fun with it. It's a Honda, case closed
Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Honda Rider

hi
Advertisement