Tryna decide: Kodial or Rubicon - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
Tryna decide: Kodiak or Rubicon

I know I am asking a loaded question amongst Rubicon owners, but I am within striking time of pulling the trigger and I have narrowed my choices to one of these two.
Uses: Hunting, very light farm work, easy trail riding with a passenger; I am fair sized at about 250 and my wife is...fluffy I narrowed my choices to these two machines for basic reasons.
Ease of operation with the automatic transmission
IRS was very important.
Reliability.

The advantage the Yute has is cost. $6999 vs over $8000.

Last edited by McBuck; 03-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

OK< I think both atv's(as LONG AS you meant a kodiak
are GOOD atv's
BUT the Yamaha will have MORE power, so, with plans of riding two up and being maybe bigger boned as you are (i'm right with you here LOL)
the Yamaha will be getting my vote, and I AM a Honda guy, BUT have to admit, honda's are rather low on HP as to the rest and the Yamaha's are proven LONG lasting atv;''s, so NOT like your giving up any long life here

a shame, Honda, needs to step up there game in the HP dept, been LONG over due, riding on there shirt tail of LONG Life reputation!!

SO< My 2 cents, the Yamaha
again IF that is the model you meant?? never heard of a Kodial, so, maybe its a new to me thing or??

Last edited by mrbb; 03-26-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
fat fingers....Kodiak. But you already knew that. Thanks for the input my friend!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Honda Rider

I test rode a Grizzly (which is the same dimensions as a Kodiak.) Felt too wide for me. Like getting off a horse lol. I was sold on the Grizzly until I rode one. I ended up buying a Rubicon DCT w/Power Steering. I'm very happy with it. Me and the wife ride together, prob 550lbs between the 2 of us. No problems power wise. Climb every hill any of the one-up Grizzlies go. Top speed the Kodiak will walk away from the Honda's. And the power difference/delivery is night and day. BOTH machines are pretty equal dependability wise. Test ride each and see which you like better. I have nothing against belts and CVT's. Yamaha prob has the best CVT in the biz. But I like the fact I can bang through the gears on my Honda. As far as price and options, to get the locking front diff in a Kodiak you have to get the fully loaded model. Which is more than the comparable Honda IIRC.

2016 Rubicon DCT TRX500FA6
Warn 2500lb Provantage
Aluminum Products Skid Plates

1999 TRX300FW
High Lifter Disc Brake Kit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda Rider

i have a 16' rubicon dct eps and love it, and as far as the power issue that was mentioned above is irrelevant the rubicon has PLENTY of power, speed not so much the rubicon will top out around 48 mph. if you want a race bike do not buy honda but if you want a tough gear driven utility atv go with honda..

2016 Honda Rubicon DCT EPS
3500 Warn Provantage winch
STI HD3 wheels
26" Maxxis bighorn 2.0's

2015 Honda Foreman 500 ES camo
all stock

1999 Honda Fourtrax 300 4wd
all stock
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Honda Red Wing Rider

Garage
I don't really understand the Kodiak, where it fits in the line up. The base kodiak's don't have diff lock so the only one you'd want to buy is the SE. The base grizz is a few hundy more but looks to be spec'd out a little bit better. Little wider, little taller, little more clearance, little more travel up front, better rear brakes....I think the Grizz looks better too. IIRC there is something they changed whether it be in the clutching or the actual transmission that makes the Kodiak different than the Grizz as well, maybe one is geared lower or more sporty or something IDK?

The Rubicon DCT deluxe is about $400 cheaper up here than a Grizz EPS so probably a little more than a Kodiak EPS SE, I think the Kodiak is a better bang for your buck at that price. I'd still take the Grizz over any of them. On the other hand, if you wanted to buy a new footshift 500cc machine with IRS, there isn't many other options out there besides the Rubicon....

'16 Can-am Renegade XMR - 31" Outlaws
'15 Rubicant Deluxe Footshift - 27" bigandhorny 2's
'94 300FW - 18% GR, 28" Mudzillas

My YouTube Channel
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Garage
Well, I pulled the trigger today. 2016 Red Rubicon. I was really was torn between the Yamaha and the Rubicon. I rode the Kodiak, and wow...it had some more kind of power but when I got into the sales office to finalize everything something just didn't seem right...I dunno. My wife was with me and said that I needed to go ride the Honda, so off we went. The Honda was supposed to be a 2017 Green automatic, but the salesman pointed out a 2016 red one...and it was the same price ($6999) as the Yamaha. AND the Honda had the push button 4wd and the DIFF lock over the Yamaha....they delivered it about 45 mins after I bought it. I couldn't talk them into the rear box ( $299) but she said I could come back and pick one up for her cost $235....I reckon I'm a Big Red man now....I hope the deer like the red Now all I need is a good Georgia "G" decal and a name....I'm thinking "Chubb"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubicon.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	36698  
Attached Images

DaBomb6988 and X96mnn like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:06 AM
Honda Rider

Congrats on the new bike. Both were great choices but I am a Honda a guy so a little sweeter for maybe tha\n others!

PS: Pics or it didn't happen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Honda Red Wing Rider

congrats on the new Honda, down the road I would think about getting a winch for it, they have a LOT of uses, that in time will come in handy!, NOT hard to install yourself either and worth having!

best of luck and ride safe!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Honda Rider

Garage
you will be glad you got it. Nothing against yammy,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page