Is it necessary to remove carbon deposits - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By DT400
  • 1 Post By DT400
  • 1 Post By toodeep
  • 1 Post By Itsjonzer
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 29
Is it necessary to remove carbon deposits

So getting ready to put back together the top end after piston and cylinder replacement, and I was wondering... how clean does the head be before reassembly? There is a tone of carbon deposits on the head, so I plan on removing as much as possible, but do not want to completely strip it down and clean it, at least not at this stage.

Once I know the top end replacement was effective in solving the problem, then I will add the cylinder head to the next repair/maintenance plan .

Just wanting to know what people think about reassembling an engine without removing all traces of carbon deposits.

Thanks
rubired is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Honda Lover
 
Majorpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubired View Post
So getting ready to put back together the top end after piston and cylinder replacement, and I was wondering... how clean does the head be before reassembly? There is a tone of carbon deposits on the head, so I plan on removing as much as possible, but do not want to completely strip it down and clean it, at least not at this stage.

Once I know the top end replacement was effective in solving the problem, then I will add the cylinder head to the next repair/maintenance plan .

Just wanting to know what people think about reassembling an engine without removing all traces of carbon deposits.

Thanks
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you find time to do it over?

2000 450s Foreman
Interco Reptiles
Warn XT2500 Winch
Tusk heated grips
Super ATV Power Steering
Super ATV Front Disc Brakes
Super ATV Rear Disc Brake
Progressive 512 Shocks
Vip-Air Fairing






Brad
Majorpayne is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 306
I agree with Majorpayne.
Besides tearing the head down after you have it together and running is just going to cost you more money and time along with the possibility of something else going wrong.
Why not spend a few minutes right now instead of hours doing it later?
I would get all the carbon off if it was me but you don't "have" to. To a point carbon deposits on the piston and cylinder head increase compression a little BUT too much carbon can cause piston to head and piston to valve clearance issues plus hot spots on the carbon can cause detonation and if a large chunk were to break off it could get pinched between the valve and head and you won't have any/low compression.
You could get off as much as you can, without scratching the head, then use Sea Foam or Techron in the fuel to help clean more out.
Your choice.

Darrell
Majorpayne likes this.
DT400 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 29
Thanks guys.

The question was not so much about what is good practice, but rather what is necessary. If the head had to come off after 15 hours of use, it is likely going to have carbon buildup, and I could not see someone going to the extent to strip the head of valves/springs/guides and soak it for something that is perfectly acceptable to put back on. Now in my case, the carbon build up is excessive, and the plan is to remove as much as possible and depending on the results reassemble. If the head looks questionable, then it will be disassembled and cleaned simply as a matter of being able to inspect it.

DT400, thank you for your explanation of the issue with the deposits.

I am a firm believer that if there is nothing wrong with it, then don't try and fix it.... so if some level of deposits are ok, then that is what I am aiming for.
rubired is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda Lover
 
Majorpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubired View Post
Thanks guys.

The question was not so much about what is good practice, but rather what is necessary. If the head had to come off after 15 hours of use, it is likely going to have carbon buildup, and I could not see someone going to the extent to strip the head of valves/springs/guides and soak it for something that is perfectly acceptable to put back on. Now in my case, the carbon build up is excessive, and the plan is to remove as much as possible and depending on the results reassemble. If the head looks questionable, then it will be disassembled and cleaned simply as a matter of being able to inspect it.

DT400, thank you for your explanation of the issue with the deposits.

I am a firm believer that if there is nothing wrong with it, then don't try and fix it.... so if some level of deposits are ok, then that is what I am aiming for.
I wouldn't touch it, just put it back together.

2000 450s Foreman
Interco Reptiles
Warn XT2500 Winch
Tusk heated grips
Super ATV Power Steering
Super ATV Front Disc Brakes
Super ATV Rear Disc Brake
Progressive 512 Shocks
Vip-Air Fairing






Brad
Majorpayne is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Honda Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpayne View Post
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you find time to do it over?
HAHA I read this to say.
"If you don't have time to do it right, THEN you will find time to do it over"
Not enough coffee this am I guess.

Darrell
Majorpayne likes this.
DT400 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Administrator
 
toodeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: south dakota
Posts: 12,364
Garage
You should be replacing the valve stem seals if your redoing the top end to take away any chance of it using oil.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Majorpayne likes this.



2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

toodeep is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Honda Rider
 
Itsjonzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 65
I dont see why you would have to strip it down just to clean it up a bit. Yea you should be atleast pulling the valve springs to change the valve stem seals. If your gonna be lazy just hit it with an sos pad, rinse it off good and then blow it off with compressed air or brake cleaner. Really if your that lazy you should prob pay someone to do it for you
Majorpayne likes this.
Itsjonzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome