2015/16 future rubicon purchase - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2015/16 future rubicon purchase

Long time lurker here but plan on purchasing a new Honda atv in the near future. Soon as tax refund is deposited. Lol. Anyway I've narrowed my selection to either a 16 model foreman with eps or a 15/16 model rubicon with eps. Kinda leaning more forwards the rubicon since it has IRS for a smoother ride.

The dealer has quite a few brand new 16 model foremans and rubicon's at great prices. Even has a handful of 15 model footshift rubicon's at incredible prices.

I'm new to the whole DCT concept with these new hondas. The DCT model on the rubicon is about a 500$ upgrade over the footshift. My main concern is the reliability of the DCT in the long run. Plan on keeping this atv for many years. Have a trx300 98 model and it runs just as good as day 1.

Just wanted to get anyfeed back of the guys with the rubicon in DCT? I like to use my atv for work, trail riding, mudding etc.

Also we're there any changes between the 15 and 16 rubicon's besides colors? Sorry for the long post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 AM
Honda Rider

Buy the manual footshift model.

2008 420 Rancher manual shift. Rubicon alum wheels & tires (old style). RT 2500 Warn winch.

2015 500 Rubicon-manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Honda Rider

I've got the DCT model with power steering. Real happy with it. Hi/Lo works good. Got 120 miles on it so I can't speak for longevity. But I haven't seen anyone post here or on other forums having trouble with them. I bought the auto mainly because the ole lady drives it from time to time doing chores and I wanted the Low range. DCT tech is not "new". They've had it out for 6yrs+ in motorcycles. But there's nothing wrong with the foot shift either. Foot shift is as dependable as you can get. Def get the Rubicon if you trail ride. After a full days riding no sore back and it's still rated to pull 1300+lbs. Either trans you buy I would get power steering. It pretty much eliminates the bars getting ripped out of your hands when you hit rocks or roots. IRS and EPS really make all day riding enjoyable. Colors and options are about the only difference with the 15/16. The 17's have less option combo's but the DCT's got a different shift mapping and is much improved over the 15/16 shift mapping.
rod330 likes this.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Honda Rider

Yeah if you get DCT get a 17. Foot shift though doesn't matter Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DaBomb6988 likes this.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

I will be purchasing the atv out of state at a huge volume dealer. So no taxes either since my state doesn't require atv to be registered. Substantial savings of 1500-2000$ but have to drive 8hrs round trip. Local dealers have no 16 models only 17 models at full Msrp then they tack on delivery fee then state taxes. Totally worth the drive for the savings but I don't wanna have to go through the hassle having to take an atv to local dealer since I didn't buy from them if any warranty issue were to happen.
I think my best bet is the foot shift and definitely eps.
DaBomb6988 likes this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman1 View Post
I think my best bet is the foot shift and definitely eps.
Nothing wrong with footshifters! Post a pic of your new ride when you get it.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Honda Rider

Nope foot shift is great

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda Rider

I have a '16 Rubicon Deluxe, which has EPS and DCT. Not impressed. Shifts like crap! The ES is okay. I just ordered the '17 PGM-FI to see if that smooths out the shifting. However, it rides very smooth over the rough stuff with the IRS. Thinking about purchasing a second Rubicon ('16 models are on sale), but this time the foot shift version. Dealer is selling it for $7499. Seems like a reasonable deal. Motoman, if I could get a "do over" I would definitely pass on the DCT model.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Honda Rider

Why would you pass on the DCT? Only because of rough shifting? Just curious as I love mine and would definitely buy same again. But mine is a 17 and shifts very smooth or at least I think it does. All of my past bikes had foot shift which is durable but depending on what shoes/boots I wear can sometimes be a pain to use over extended rides. But I wear a 12 boot so maybe with smaller feet it's not a issue. The DCT is nice as you can manual shift too if needed.

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Honda Rider

Also talking about reliability I now have a 2000 Rancher and 2013 Foreman. Both with ES and never a issue with either one so they seem to be very reliable also. No history on the DCT yet though as that bike only has 26 miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page