2015 + Rubicon or Rincon - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2015 + Rubicon or Rincon

I am the proud owner of a 2016 Honda Pioneer 100-5 that I absolutely love but absolutely don't ride enough. It's way to large for any of my local riding areas and, therefore, requires I take a nice long trip in order to ride. Having 2 small children and a busy work schedule makes it difficult to get out and ride the way this machine deserves. So, I'm considering switching to a Honda ATV. Save a little money and get more use out of it.

I have been scouring the forums and looking at as much information as I can for anything that relates to the 2015 + Rubicon's and Rincons. I havent looked at ATV's in about 8 years as I have been on UTV's so I feel WAY behind. I see a lot of standard information on both but I haven't found much in the realm of real world comparison or reviews that will help me determine what is best for my riding style or interests. So I'm hoping this is where some of you can help me out.

My Riding Style/ATV uses: I love trail riding and really enjoy the process of making my way through difficult areas. I don't like having to worry about whether or not my machine is capable. (With the Can Am I owned, I was always concerned with water getting into the CVT. Drove me nuts because the CVT intake was right behind the left front tire.) There are times when I need to cross a stream or water on the trail but I don't go out looking for the deepest hole I can find. I enjoy and look for more technical sections like climbs, rocky areas, etc... I like going through muddy sections if they are part of the trail but I'm not one to go looking for it. Also, I'm not a speed person. I have had motorcycles etc... and I'm done with having to go fast. Most of the riding I do is under 30 mph.
Around the house, I typically use ATV's/UTV's for yard work. Pulling a small trailer with grass clippings or yard waste etc... And then plowing in the winter. So whichever machine I get needs to be a solid plow machine.

Okay, so I rambled a bit above. Here are some specific questions I have.
1. Rubicon vs. Rincon: Is one more capable than the other? Do they have different targeted audiences/purposes?
2. Rubicon Vs. Rincon: In terms of reliability, which one is more solid?
3. I see the Rubicon has two trans options. I have a DCT in my pioneer and like it just fine. But I was also very happy with my foot shifting formeman S (2005 that I should have never sold). Is this just personal preference or is one more capable than the other? (I read one article that said "we give the nod to the DCT" for low end power.)
4. On my pioneer, the DCT downshifts for me, even when in manual mode. Is it this way on the Rubicon DCT? I really hope not

I realize I went a little overboard for a first or second post. I have an issue with over analyzing everything when it comes to toys I appreciate any feedback you guys can give in regards to these machines. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Honda Rider

I owned a Rinny. Never a problem. The only problem they have is they NEVER change and that's a problem for me. This is why I bought a new 2016 Ruby DCT. The Dct's whether the 420 Rancher or the Ruby work exactly the same,and yes it down shifts automatically.
Rincon...no locking diff, no power steering, no low range, non adjustable shocks.
Love my Ruby!!!

* Buy the 2017, it has better, even smoother shift programming.
loosemarbles likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDuzit View Post
I owned a Rinny. Never a problem. The only problem they have is they NEVER change and that's a problem for me. This is why I bought a new 2016 Ruby DCT. The Dct's whether the 420 Rancher or the Ruby work exactly the same,and yes it down shifts automatically.
Rincon...no locking diff, no power steering, no low range, non adjustable shocks.
Love my Ruby!!!

* Buy the 2017, it has better, even smoother shift programming.
Thanks for your reply. I hate that the rincon hasn't changed but I also like it in a way. It SHOULD mean that the bugs are worked out but it also means they haven't moved forward. Kind of like retiring with no cost of living increase. In any case, I don't like that they don't have the locking diff or the low range. Low range isn't a big deal if there is a granny gear but with three speeds, I can't imagine it being low enough for crawling etc...

And I"m still skeptical of buying a DCT in an ATV. I have it in my Pioneer and like it, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of the foot shifter.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
The dtc in the 4 wheeler works the same as the pioneer yet it's different. Once you get use to it you really dont think about it. I have an 09 rancher dtc with over 9000 miles on it. Both machines in question are reliable. The Rincon will give a little smoother ride but the Rubicon has all the options.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2007 420FM (475cc, 27x12x12 Mudbugs) ---------- 1995 300FW (webcamshaft, 350 rear end)
2008 420FE (26x9x12 BearClaws) -------------------
1988 300 (old stock machine, nothing fancy)
2009 420FA (25x8/10x12 BearClaw HTR) ---------
1987 350D (work in progress)

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
The dtc in the 4 wheeler works the same as the pioneer yet it's different. Once you get use to it you really dont think about it. I have an 09 rancher dtc with over 9000 miles on it. Both machines in question are reliable. The Rincon will give a little smoother ride but the Rubicon has all the options.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks toodeep. I tend to overthink everything, as you may be able to tell from my post I just want to make sure that whatever I buy will do what I need it to do. I think Rincon because of the displacement and tried and true design. But then I go back to the rubicon for technical riding and climbs.

Maybe you know this... on the threads that I have found discussing Rincon vs Rubicon, there are many votes for the rubicon for climbing and doing work like towing a trailer and plowing. Why is this? I saw that one of the complaints of the Rincon is that it isn't geared low enough but is this something that has just become "typical forum chat" or will I get a Rincon out on a trail, hit a technical section or hill climb and be disappointed?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Honda Addict

Garage
i have both a ruby and rincon, the older swing arm machines like my 2001 ruby are no comparison to the newer ruby's with irs and power steering i would go with the new Ruby, it has it all, irs, power steering, dual clutch and low range. the power is more than enough to do anything you want.... The low range alone is really nice to have especially in the rough stuff. my rincon is a nice machine but if my older ruby had irs i would never have bought my rincon....just my thoughts...... if you want an all around utility machine the ruby is hard to beat, no high speed racer but it will pass 50 mph.
my rincon is geared a lot higher but the bigger motor really does pull better than i thought it would. if it had low range it would be a fantastic machine, but it still holds it own. i have a friend with a Rincon with over 7000 miles and many of it plowing.
educ8tedguess likes this.

Last edited by harig; 12-25-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

2015 + Rubicon or Rincon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harig View Post
i have both a ruby and rincon, the older swing arm machines like my 2001 ruby are no comparison to the newer ruby's with irs and power steering i would go with the new Ruby, it has it all, irs, power steering, dual clutch and low range. the power is more than enough to do anything you want.... The low range alone is really nice to have especially in the rough stuff. my rincon is a nice machine but if my older ruby had irs i would never have bought my rincon....just my thoughts...... if you want an all around utility machine the ruby is hard to beat, no high speed racer but it will pass 50 mph.
my rincon is geared a lot higher but the bigger motor really does pull better than i thought it would. if it had low range it would be a fantastic machine, but it still holds it own. i have a friend with a Rincon with over 7000 miles and many of it plowing.

Thanks for this. If I switch to an ATV, I'm leaning toward the rubicon for the reasons you said above. The only issue I have is that I like the foot shifter for simplicity; but if it isn't as low as the DCT, I would have to rethink that. The only thing that keeps the rincon in the mix is the fact that it has been the same for a long time with minimal issues. (Same reason I bought a Nissan Frontier).

Finally, i typically leave things really close to stock. The only upgrade I can think of would be 26 in tires. But, if I did go the rincon route, is there anything that can be done to gear it lower and still maintain reliability?

Edit: never mind on the gear reduction. Found a bunch of info on the big red gear reduction. Sounds like my best bet would be the rubicon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by educ8tedguess; 12-26-2016 at 07:46 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Honda Rider

I just got a new 2017 Rubi. After looking at both the Rincon and Rubi it was no comparison to me. The Rubi is just more bike and the transmission is fantastic. I love the fact you can use it like the regular ES machines (manual) or go fully auto. Plus has a awesome high and low range. The tranny is super smooth and the bike is very well built. Feels, sounds, and rides way better than my 2014 Foreman ES with power steering. The new frame is very solid too. If I were just going for a short ride my 2014 Foreman is a little more fun as it's lighter and faster due to less weight but after the first bit I get tired of that single rear shock and solid axle. This is my 4th Honda ATV and best yet.

loosemarbles likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Honda Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503MD View Post
I just got a new 2017 Rubi. After looking at both the Rincon and Rubi it was no comparison to me. The Rubi is just more bike and the transmission is fantastic. I love the fact you can use it like the regular ES machines (manual) or go fully auto. Plus has a awesome high and low range. The tranny is super smooth and the bike is very well built. Feels, sounds, and rides way better than my 2014 Foreman ES with power steering. The new frame is very solid too. If I were just going for a short ride my 2014 Foreman is a little more fun as it's lighter and faster due to less weight but after the first bit I get tired of that single rear shock and solid axle. This is my 4th Honda ATV and best yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harig View Post
Both of you commented on the DCT and the ability to switch to low when needed. I really like the idea of a foot shifter but not if it is going to cost me low end power. Other than that, you are confirming everything that I have been reading on these machines. I even looked in the Foreman ES but I think I would be happiest with the Rubicon. To many options for an indecisive over analyzing person such as myself. What makes it worse, I found a bunch of 2016's that have foot shift and no power steering. In my mind, I love that idea as there is much less to go wrong. And since I've never ridden an ATV with power steering, I don't think I would know what I'm missing. But, I think it would be nice to have some creature comforts. Oh well, I will get it figured out. Have to get a buyer for the Pioneer first...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Honda Rider

If you get a 2017 Rubi they all have power steering. Even foot shift model. You will like the eps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page