Honda Foreman Forums banner

500 foreman electrical

6K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  hondaforeman16 
#1 ·
hi all new to the forum,i have a 2004 500 honda foreman rubicon that is in 4 by 4 at all times. recently the starter brushes were bad and bought new ones and it didnt work the solenoid was clicking.bought a new solenoid and no diffenrece. if you push the ignition it used to spark by the battery and now by the starter and its big sparks. i just isntalled a new shifter motor and a new angle sensor down by the shifter motor. the machine also blinks on the screen now 6 times and before 11 times but only six now.it starts fine with pull cord but seems to be in 2 gear. need serious help here..
curtis:laugh:

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Take the starter off the motor and see if it spins when you hit the starter button (you'll probably have to hold the starter case to the motor to ground it).

I've heard of starters reversing polarity and spinning backwards. If it pull starts you know the motor isn't seized up, so it's gotta be a starter issue.

#4 ·
Error code 6 looks to be angle sensor. Shouldn't be related to the starting issue.

Are you sure your battery is good? Rubicons don't do well without a good battery on them.

#6 ·
Get a new battery, clean your cable ends well, and hook it up.

Then see what problems, if any, you have.

#9 ·
Did you put a new battery on?

Lots of things can cause the fuse to blow. First thing you have to have is a good battery.

#12 ·
You cranked it with the pull start, with the starter removed from the engine?

Yes, the gear should be spinning and yes oil will go everywhere.

#17 ·
So you getting 12V at the starter terminal when you hit the button? Tap on the starter lightly with a hammer when you're pushing the button and see if it turns over.

If so, you probably just need new brushes in your starter. Cheap and easy fix.

#19 ·
So starts and runs with the pull cord, but when you turn it over with the starter it gives you two lines on the display and will turn over but not start?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.