Honda Foreman Forums banner

2017 Rubicon

50K views 99 replies 30 participants last post by  Ross Lajeunesse 
#1 ·
The 2017 Rubicon's have a smoother shift map for their DCT can this new mapping be put on my 2016 Ruby Deluxe?

#7 ·
@dragerman @mr.**** The programming is out to update the shifts and it does take the harshness out of the shifts. This is not an update so the dealer will more than likely charge you for it. It should take them less than a half hour to do it. Their VCI has to be up to date and they have to get the rewrite files from their service rep but they can do it. The only other option is installing the 17 model ICM (PGM FI unit) at around $250.

#10 ·
Nope, it would be a plug and play.

does the update include "sport mode"? i have not read anything from honda that the 2016 has this already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
No sport mode, it just changes the shift points to smooth the shifting out. Once it's reprogrammed it can not be undone if you don't like it. The only way to get it back is a new ecm for the 15/16 model.

#12 ·
Really happy to find this info. Yeah really tired of the nasty shifting with my 2016 Ruby. My dealer has never heard of flashing with the new mapping. Has anyone actually flashed their ecm or tried the 2017 ecm in the 15/16 model years?
Any ruby owner that have actually done this and where? Know of any dealers that do this?

#14 ·
Toodeep is a Honda mechanic/dealer and has been for many years.. he wouldnt sell ya b.s. maybe send him a p.m. if he doesnt see this post. cheers!

#15 ·
The dealer has to go through the service rep to get the rewrite files to update the ecm on them. I could do it for you but most likely the drive wouldn't make that a wise investment.. lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I'm getting it at Honda Parts Nation, love that place. Unbelievably it was an in stock item too. I'm putting it in a
2016 RUBY TRX500 FA6 and the part is meant for a 2017 TRX500 FA6. You'll hear back in a couple of weeks or so.

PGM-FI UNIT
38770-HR6-G61

Reactions: crusader
#21 · (Edited)
Results for installing a 2017 Ruby DCT FA6 computer (ecm) in a 2016 Ruby DCT FA6.
I was under the understanding that for 2017 the shift mapping was softer (says so on the Honda website, new improved). I also read that to improve it, that you could do one of two things. One, have your 2015/2016 Ruby ecm flashed with the 2017 software. Two, replace the ecm with a 2017 model.

RESULTS:

Historically....shifting was very harsh in the auto mode. It wasn't too bad in the high range in the higher gears but in low range it was brutal, especially when you just wanted to take it easy, it was at it's worst. Just when you would think it should be shifting now, it wouldn't and continue to rev then thud, it would shift. Sometimes it would even bother my back when it shifted.
The only way to deal with it was to shift it manually while in low range. I also thought how could this be good for the entire drive train, and also the unnecessary higher revving.
I was very displeased with it actually. I spoke to my dealer and they said it was characteristic of the machine.
The only way you could control the shifting/revving was to only use the manual shift buttons. So.. why have an auto machine that you couldn't use..... grrrr!

SO......because there wasn't a dealer in my area that had a clue about doing a re-flash with the 2017 software, I bought another ecm for the 2017 model. The part numbers for 2015/2016 were different then the 2017 which I hoped didn't mean it wouldn't plug in, or not run then get stuck with it.

So I plugged it in and....voila, it started and ran....which was a great relief. Now for the test!!

I let it warm up for 5 minutes then put it in the dreadful low range/auto mode.
My heart was racing thinking nothing will change....WRONG!!!
The first time it shifted I instantly new something was different, I didn't get whiplash lol. It simply putted away and shifted through the gears like and o'l fart like myself sometimes likes LOL.

A COMPLETE CHANGE OVERALL. IT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MACHINE NOW. It shifts exactly when I would be shifting it by the sound of the machine. I can finally just leave it in low range and it'll do exactly what I would expect it to do based on the throttle I give it.
I'm glad Honda recognised this and made it right. Too bad they didn't offer free flashing upgrades for the 15/16 models.

I would recommend this to every 2015/16 Ruby DCT FA6 owner.

CHEERS:grin2:

#23 ·
Historically....shifting was very harsh in the auto mode. It wasn't too bad in the high range in the higher gears but in low range it was brutal, especially when you just wanted to take it easy, it was at it's worst. Just when you would think it should be shifting now, it wouldn't and continue to rev then thud, it would shift. Sometimes it would even bother my back when it shifted.
The only way to deal with it was to shift it manually while in low range. I also thought how could this be good for the entire drive train, and also the unnecessary higher revving.
I was very displeased with it actually. I spoke to my dealer and they said it was characteristic of the machine.
The only way you could control the shifting/revving was to only use the manual shift buttons. So.. why have an auto machine that you couldn't use..... grrrr!
You described this exactly how I would explain it. I had the same complaint about the auto shifting in low range! Does yours seem to start any quicker? I've always felt these efi honda's take an extra revolution or 2 before the start.

#29 · (Edited)
I used the G61. Oddly the 2016 models show two options as well..(G62 and G63). Even stranger is that both the 16/17 models have the same (G62) option as well...whats that about...uggg. Maybe some Honda Guru might know.

#34 ·
Hey Shorty I'm from Canada. Assuming you have the FA6 model...I did the upgrade.
I used the G61. I bought it out of the US and with exchange, shipping , duty it was $300 which is about $400 cheaper then here.
It makes a huge difference, but it's unfortunate having to do this.
Couldn't find a dealer to flash the old computer but you might depending where you live.
Cheers

#36 · (Edited)
More info for updating the 2016 FA6 ecm with the 2017 ecm. The FA7 is the same.

I've ridden it a little more now.....thought I would give another update..also some more exciting news:)

SHIFTING...... Instead of the bone jarring way it used to shift, especially in low range, it's way more relaxed. The best way to describe it is that it now pauses slightly during the shifting (under slow acceleration). It's a little hard to explain...kinda like a 18 wheeler shifts...kinda like you're pushing the clutch in...shift.... let it out... then accelerate gently. Especially in low range there's a huge difference. When I get on her vrooom vrooom.....it's hard to tell when it even shifts at all...totally impressed.

MORE GREAT NEWS.....I know I heard that the new Rubys whine a little too long before starting, as mine did as well. At first I thought I was imagining that it was starting quicker. Well.....it actually does start quicker. Usually 2- 3 cranks at the most.. Before it was 3-5 cranks and some owners complain 5-7 cranks.
I think Honda has made a significant improvement with starting also.

Cheers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.