Honda Foreman Forums banner

rubicon problems

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mrbb 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 Honda Rubicon. I have read through tons of threads but mostly no help. This 4wheeler has been giving issue for 10 years. It would constantly go into limp mode. I would reset it. And go on. Over the years I have changed 3 angle sensors. Did this because of the code given. No help and yes I did preload. The symptoms are now that it often does not reset. Sometimes gets stuck in one gear and you stay there until it wants to change. But then.... it might do perfect for days, trans changing perfectly. Those times are why it has been in use for ten years. But it will go into limp mode in some of the worst places. I removed the headlight, speedometer unit above the handlebars about 2 years ago due to a roll over smashing it. It being removed changed nothing. It now has no way to read codes. They were never any help before anyway. And it has worked perfectly for weeks at a time without it so I know the comments I will get regarding this, but I don't plan on replacing it. The headlight conflicted with my basket anyway. So, of all the post talking about these problems, has anyone ever posted the correction needed? I don't know about the automatic. Have not tried it in years.

And..... Now the 4 wheel drive no longer works. Simple or big deal

#4 ·
I just went out to see if the auto worked. I have never used it. Not sure why. Just prefer the other I guess. It did work to my surprise. But... I rode it easy and it did fine. Switched back to Electric shift and it did fine. But I was riding like a woman would ride it. Then I ran it harder. And as you would expect, the limping began. It would stay in whatever gear you were in when it happened. I would stop, reset it and go fine until I got on it. Same with auto. It would act as though it slipped and then limp. It can be used this way. But is a real pain resetting constantly. I bought a 2007 Rancher as a replacement figuring I would dump this one. But the Rancher looks almost new. I hesitate to make a working ride out of the Rancher. Cargo baskets, etc. I rode the rancher yesterday and what a pain trying to take good care of something. I had rather use it like a tool. But not willing to trash the good looking Rancher yet. So I wish to fix the Rubicon since it is already trashed and already rigged out with ultra heavy duty custom cargo baskets. I did check the 4 wheel drive. I jacked up the front and the shaft going to the front differential is turning but neither wheel turns. So it has to be in the front differential.

#5 ·
the CDI/if carb's bike,
ECU if fuel injected
but they are is brains of the bike, like your computer on your car/.truck,
if its its giving out poor signals, things will NOT work right
and they do go bad
NOT having a dash to give codes out will make this harder to correct
others here are better at fixing things than me, so see what they say, but
that's my guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.