Honda Foreman Forums banner

500 Rubi cam advice

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mac102004 
#1 · (Edited)
Got an 05 Rubicon. Just curious what everyone's opinions are on the mudbuster and web cams. Read a few posts on here but none really seemed to answer my questions. It's bored .5 over, EPI comp clutch kit, snorkeled, UNI air filter, and has a glasspack for an exhaust (lol, previous owner...). Curious what my jetting and everything would need to be and all that good stuff.. Any opinions, links, videos, etc. are much appreciated!:grin2:

#2 ·
Waste of money

http://www.hondaforeman.com/147-rub...mudbuster-cam-hoax-exact-match-stock-cam.html

You can spend thousands of dollars adding .10HP to a single cylinder Honda ATV engine, but the gains per $ will be negligible.

It's like trying to "build" a Jeep 258. You can add all kinds of stuff that will give you minor improvements, but at the end of the day you have a $4K inline 6 that's still an inline 6.

#6 ·
I just don't see you gaining much when modding a 1 cyl 500cc engine. The Highlifter guys are the ones who do all the hotrodding, so you might ask over there.

Is your cam bad or are you just wanting more oomph?

#8 ·
If you want to do a new crank, big block, stroke it, web cam, exhaust/jet kit you MIGHT be able to tell a difference in your engine then vs your engine in stock form....OR you could buy another 4wheeler and have two for the same money.

I'm all about getting a little more oomph, but there's only so much you can do for a reasonable amount of money.

The wife's 420AT is now a 475AT, but that's only because I needed another cylinder and the 500 cylinder new is the same price as a 420 cylinder new, OR buying a used 420 cylinder and having it bored/honed with a new piston. The swap will cost me a little more because I have to buy a programmer, but not a lot more.

I've dumped several thousand in a 258 Jeep engine. Had it rebuilt, bored, stainless header, bigger CFM carb, Jacob's ignition. Dropped about $3 grand in it all together. I can tell VERY little difference in it and the bone stock engine in my other Jeep. Wasted my money.

Some engines just aren't easy or cheap to modify for performance.

#13 ·
Just run it as is man. the hondamatic really eats up any extra torque that you may produce anyways (mac told u that anyways). with that said, i like to think i built a pretty impressive rubi but at the end of the day i couldn't spin a tire any larger than a 28" silverback. i could spin the silverback quite comfortably but couldn't keep axles from breaking. that was my biggest gripe. now i run a 28" zilla and don't go through axles. if you wanted a little more ooomph, there's a 7% gr for the rubi. toodeep has put one in but i haven't touched base with him lately to see if it's still holding up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.