Honda Foreman Forums banner

New 2016 Rubicon Owner - new to forums

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  rich450es 
#1 ·
Hello fellow riders, I am a long time Honda rider, previous machine was a 2002 Honda Rubicon and I had a couple of TRX125s and a 97 300EX. Recently I decided it was time to get a new machine, so I put my 2002 Rubicon and my 2002 Honda RC51 up for sale to help fund the purchase of a new ATV. I wanted a good and dependable trail rig that was capable of some light work as well. After looking at all my options I went with the 2016 Rubicon, DCT/IRS/EPS. I had a chance to take it to Highland Park in Cedartown Georgia this weekend and we had a blast. Thanks for all the good info on this forum, it really helped me make my purchasing decision!

Here is a quick video of trail 5b, should have some more footage if anyone is interested let me know and I will link them up in this thread as I get them uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV4TCXMwHaw

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome BrapMan629, we sure saw a lot of KTM bikes out there at Highland Park. Apparently there is a major KTM facility out there.

Happy Trails!

#6 ·
Welcome!!!

Reactions: ATVtogether
#7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys. I think my first mod may be a Rancher for my daughter to ride so we don't have to ride 2up lol.

I actually tossed her on the video below, but she is a trooper and was alright. She is pretty tough for an 11 year old. I just need to get her driving experience built up a bit more before I put her on her own rig. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQS2-VaZB8k

#10 ·
Thanks mrbb, you have a really good point, as much as I want her to have her own, I really should wait until she is older and more experienced with riding. Very good advice my friend!

#9 ·
Nice videos. You are lucky that you two didn't get hurt in that rut! That could have easily broke a leg. I notice you aren't riding in auto on any of the videos? Have you ridden many trails in auto? I am curious because I have recently purchased a 2016 DCT and I have only rode in open snowy areas so far. I haven't been on dirt trails with inclines. Would like to know how it shifts in auto on the tight trails like the ones you are on?

#11 ·
Thanks, we are very lucky the rut was so deep it actually prevented the quad from tipping over. I have ridden quite a bit in DCT, actually more than ESP. However, when we went to that ATV park, I just went ESP all day. From what I can tell, the DCT works fine for trail riding even in dirt trails with inclines and twists. However, you do have to drive it a bit different than when you use ESP. I guess the best way to put it is if you are wanting to ride more on the sporty side, like braking in to a turn and powering out the other side at a quick pace, ESP is more efficient. On the other hand if you are looking to just ride at more of a normal pace DCT is just fine. Sometimes, if you cook into a corner and brake it can take a second to hit the right gear. My daughter did all of her riding in DCT and she drove at least two hours with me on the back. She has a bad habit of going to slow up LONG hills. However, I told her just keep a steady throttle and when the quad started to lose steam in the gear it was in, it smoothly downshifted and gave her the power she needed to continue creeping up the hill. I was pretty impressed with that. I will try to get some video of me running a trail by my house both in DCT and ESP and then link it to give you a better idea.

#12 ·
your welcome, MOST folks get caught up in watching there kids be able to steer and work the throttle with them ON The back
and forget that a kid ONLY has so much leverage they can use or body weight, and LACK of experience by a BIG margin
and then add in the fact kids watch YOUTUBE video's and see what adults DO
it can lead to a accident pretty easy

I cringe when I see a LOT of kids on BIG atv';s

I mean as a Kid I grew up outdoors, spent more hrs on pedal bikes jumping and doing dumb stuff, then got into SMALL MX bikes and then gradually grew into full size things, and I am GLAD I did it that way.,
ALL them steps up from one thing to another made me a MUCH better rider, and got me into racing as well

I personally and NOT bashing here, thing TOO many parents want there kids to be there friends and NOT there kids, if you follow
and as such they seem to make kids grow up too fast missing out on a LOT of the small steps we older folks grew up with
MONEY also seems to be a part of them skipping the basic's too

we all want better for our kids I get that
but I do feel bad for kids that miss a lot of the learn as they go in smaller steps
rather than, just have a machine bought and them on it!!

experience is one thing that ONLY way to get it is from seat time!! and watching and learning what to DO and NOT to do!

good luck
and ride safe and enjoy, ATV's are great ways to see the outdoors and make memories!

#13 ·
You hit the nail on the head with that one mrbb! I grew up the same way, on bike, then mini-bikes, dirt bikes, go carts, smaller atvs... Learning the stepping stone method. It is actually a lot different than just starting out on a 420 or even 500cc 4x4 ATV. I think for now we will just enjoy the riding together and then after she gets a lot more seat time and turns 16 then we can discuss getting a quad for her to drive on her own. We still had an absolute blast just riding 2 up all day. :)

Here she is tackling her first trail of the day at the park, for her driving I used DCT mode and low range gears and 2wd for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3vrvQZN1qw

It was such an amazing feeling to get outdoors and enjoy that time with her, those are memories that will be with us forever!

#14 ·
What about starting her out on something small like a Recon? Or maybe even something smaller. Used ones can be picked up cheap and they are very compact. Guy in our riding group was in this situation and ended up getting his son a 125 Grizzly. They are great little learning tools.

#16 ·
I think both of those are viable options. I had her sit on a recon when we were out shopping for the rubicon. It just seemed so small at the time, but to be honest that something like that or maybe a bit smaller is just what that age child needs to learn the ropes and build the confidence and skills. I would like her to learn the fundamentals of shifting as well, I am guessing both the Recon and 125 Grizzly are manual foot shift, without a clutch?

#15 ·
I started my 10 year old daughter on a 90 Polaris (Automatic and had reverse). A lot easier to learn to ride when you don't have to worry about shifting. And having reverse is a must in my opinion. Once she outgrew that, she was capable of handling her mothers 400 Rancher AT.

#17 ·
That is another option for sure, my daughter will be turning 12 in about a month and she is not small for her age. I am wondering at what age your daughter outgrew the 90 Polaris? I want her to start on something smaller, but I want to try to get something she could use for at least a couple years before outgrowing it. :)

#18 ·
She was probably 15 when she moved on to the 400. She could have still ridden the 90, but the Honda was just easier to deal with. Battery was cheap in the 90 and kept dying. Honda started every time.

#19 ·
Thanks, I am also thinking that waiting until she is 15 or 16 to let her ride the bigger rigs solo is a good idea. By that time she will have built up a good 4-5 years of experience.

#20 ·
The recon would be foot shift or ES, the grizzly 125 is an automatic. You wanting her to learn how to shift is a very good idea! I totally agree with you, 4-5 years experience on a smaller atv will help so much when she is ready to move up to a bigger one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.