Honda Foreman Forums banner

Larger Tires for 2015 Rubicon DCT

17K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  JasonW 
#1 ·
I had the chance to borrow a set of new 30x9x14 silverbacks to run them on my rubicon DCT, my main concern was the ability to turn them in the mud, although with limited time I was not able to find deep mud to try them out.
So post up ONLY if your running larger tires on a DCT Rubi, no foot shifts. Size, brand, and how it turns them in what kind of terrain.
Pictures are always a plus.

#2 ·
I don't know if there is anybody on this forum with a DCT and real mud tires? Seem's like all the mud guys are buying up footshifts....which makes sense since there is already GR options available for the FM. Sorry I can't be of much help, I can only comment on the footshift.

#3 ·
I have a 15 with dct but I only running a 27" kenda bear claw htr. Most of my riding is in the mountains, snow and water that is deep enough to come up about half way on the machine. I found riding in deep snow I had to take it out of auto and shift manually cause it kept wanting to up shift causing lower rpm and less power to keep spinning in 10" of snow. For to deep water its pretty much the same deal but I always go to manual mode with my other atvs when going into deep water. on the rocky trails I leave it in auto mode and low ,it does fine then.

#4 ·
With the 30" backs it can't turn them from a dead stop in mud. 3wd it could turn them but with diff lock engaged I had to rock it a few times to get it going. All of this in low range of course and no performance mods.

I thought about gear reduction but these are slow enough as is (mine topped out at 45mph with stock tires). The problem with gear reduction is the ECU shift pattern will be changed. I don't know if a secondary reduction can be made as in a lower L gear, a primary reduction could be made I believe if it's the same as the 420's and foremans, then it gets back it to problem of not being able to reprogram the ECU

#6 ·
I'm running 30x10x14 mudder inlaw's. 50lbs per tire with rim. It turns them ok but could be better. I got in some real thick stuff the other day and it would turn them but it was def straining. Silverback 30's seem to be a little smaller than other 30's and lighter so u should turn them fine.

#9 ·
I'm about to buy 30" skinny wides for my foot shift. Am I making a mistake?? Buying used. I really wanted 28s. As far as gearing it is my belief that the foot shift and dct are the same when dct is in Low. I saw someone post that their dct in low 1st gets to about 10mph tops and 15mph in Hugh.. Mine gets to 10mph before wound up on a foot shift in 1st. Can you dct guys confirm.

#11 ·
The ability to go through things you can't with stock tires. With the right tires you can just crawl through things where as with stock tires you would be stopped in your tracks. Every tire has its place though.

#12 ·
pro's and con's to all things,
them bigger tires always come with a price, better traction, more wear and tear
BUT its a balance of things to decide if the wear and tear and or performance loss or gains are worth the price to each owner
and some folks Heck, just like the looks of bigger tires and could care less if they have performance too??
crazy world we all live in today LOL

#14 ·
It's a bit of a balancing act. How much acceleration and speed is worth sacrificing for more ground clearance and more traction. Unfortunately if you want to run a Honda this is what you have to do. If you want to Run a bigger machine this isn't so much an issue, like a 650/850/1000 Can-am, 850/1000 Polaris, etc.

#15 ·
I put on a set of 28" Mud Bugs. I know they are nowhere near as aggressive as a Silverback or a Outlaw, but they do perform well in the conditions I ride. I wouldn't want to put any larger or more aggressive tires on the machine. In the thick mud/muskeg we have here I think anything taller or more aggressive would be a hindrance. Maybe in the deep muddy water pits that are the norm down south they would be fine, but the goo here can be pretty thick.

#17 ·
Finally got the tires in and went for a ride today. Top speed is 39mph and I wouldn't want to go any faster on these tires, very easy to slide the back end around at top speed. Got in a little mud, it did ok just keep the RPMs up. Almost dunked it in auto mode, it shifted into 2nd and dropped the front end so definitely keep it in manual mode for that. Will report again when I get more time in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.