Honda Foreman Forums banner

oil filter cover issue

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Shutitdotnet 
#1 ·
I finally got around to change the oil on my '07 Rubicon. (I purchased it used in January).

I drained the oil by removing the two drain plugs, however, when I tried to remove the oil filter cover, the bolt that holds the cover on won't break loose for me. I used the correct socket size and a fairly long socket wrench but the sucker won't loosen. I'm afraid that I'm going to break the head off the bolt or strip it. Anybody have any ideas or tips for me?
Thanks!
-John

#4 ·
If the issue us that the bolts are really tight and will not break loose ...
Try a couple of medium taps directly on the head of the bolt-straight in. If it is not possible to hit the head of the bolt directly with a hammer,
use a flat-ended punch on the head of the bolt, and hit the punch with the hammer. I am talking a couple of taps only, and directly in line with the bolt. I would use a good impact driver before I used an impact wrench.

#5 ·
The impact driver that I use is a "Vessel" brand, I bought it in 1967 or '68. You take up all of the slack by holding it hard against the stop in the direction that you want to turn the bolt, and tap the end with a hammer. If you just hold it there and bang on it, it won't turn the bolt. It will take pan head Phillips screws out without messing them up.
Not your fault, but it sounds to me like someone put the bolts back in the cover using an air wrench. I ALWAYS install bolts by hand...

Finn

#8 ·
Well, I tried my impact driver and that didn't work, but my uncle who is a diesel mechanic by trade gave me a long strong arm socket wrench to try and that worked great. I really couldn't believe how tight that bolt was on there.

Anyway, the oil and filter has been changed so now it's off to work on the brakes tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys...I appreciate it!!!

#9 ·
I'm late to the party and i see ya got it, what I've done in the past is exactly what was said before i believe steel bolt into aluminium nice little tap on the back of it gives it just enough wiggle room to loosen right up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.