Honda Foreman Forums banner

Question About Rubicon Engine

5K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  mac102004 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Rubicon, and having been out of the game for a while with regard to new models, I am back in looking for a new machine to add now that my son is old enough to ride a big machine.

Being a "Honda guy" and a Rubicon fan, I naturally looked at the new Rubicon, and discovered it no longer has either the Hondamatic nor the 499 ci. engine. It now has a DCT transmission (optional) and a 475 ci. engine. At first glance, this doesn't look like a Rubicon to me...it looks like a Foreman with IRS and optional automatic, but since I have been out of the research game, forums and all for quite some time, can someone give me some insight on the new machine? I've read the reviews, and while they cover the machine quite well, they don't go into the evolution of the machine, which is what I'm interested in. Is the 475 ci engine the same Foreman engine that has been around for years, or is it all new? WHat happened to the HOndamatic and the 499 ci engine? What about the IRS...can it handle a pair of elk rear quarters the way the solid axle could? Etc!

Thank you!

#6 ·
you won't be disappointed with the new rubicon

#7 ·
Honda ditched the Hondamatic, as it was complete garbage and totally worthless. By ditching this power robbing ticking time bomb and replacing it with a more efficient means of power transfer, they were able to afford to use the Foreman's motor. So even though the Rubicon lost 4hp at the crank, it's probably putting as much or more power to the wheels than the older models.

IRS tends to squat under weight, reducing ground clearance. I've actually found the Rubicon to handle weight quite well though, far better than the last IRS Honda I had...the Rincon.

#8 ·
I ride 2 up most of the time and it handles so much better than my SRA 2014 foreman. I am amazed at the way it handles almost everytime I ride.

Reactions: PRO-V
#9 ·
Agreed. It's a great machine. Just changed my break in oil and now it (DCT) really shifts smooth. Couldn't be happier with mine. By the way, out riding yesterday and saw a burned up belt by the trail....LOL.

Reactions: jeepwm69
#13 ·
Hmmnnnn, I stopped getting notifications for this thread, so I had no idea it still had activity.

After all the years the Rubicon has been out, to be honest, I would have liked to see a stronger engine. I don't care about top speed, as I rarely get above 35 MPH on my 2003 Rubicon, especially with an elk strapped to it. I'm just not a top speed kind of guy, but....I do have to admit that the numbers the other brands are putting out are appealing, along with the features. Honda does seem to take the safe approach, going with what they know has been reliable in the past. That being said, I haven't had any trouble with my current Rubicon, and I don't mind the SRA either. Compared to my Jeep, even the "old technology" of my 2003 seems to ride plush by comparison. You know what I find funny, in the Jeep world, it's sacrilege to even think about independent suspension on a Jeep, but in the ATV world, if you don't have IRS, you aren't considered to even be in the game (I'm exaggerating).

Anyhow, my rant is over. I definitely feel that this new version of the Rubicon is worth a closer look! I am a fan of Big Red, and for my needs, this machine should fit my needs just fine. Just to be a smart consumer, I will take a closer look at a couple other machines, most notably the Can-Am Outlander, as I feel that type of due diligence is worth it, as well as help get permission from the boss!

#24 ·
I won't argue that it won't help. But I don't think I would go out of my way to install it either, if I was into the motor anyway then why not. Otherwise, 7% isn't worth the effort. Years ago Turner was building or was going to build a larger GR for them, but nothing ever came out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.